quick quick help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
Normally, I'm hitting low 80's for efficiency, even for big beers.

Trying the centennial blond, a low OG beer.

Beersmith says a 1.033 preboil gravity, and I was down at 1.021!!!

After I mashed in, the grain looked pretty un-crushed, so I guess somebody was futzing with the mill at AIH and I didn't think to check the crush like I usually do. So I'm not questioning why it happened.

I added all the DME I have on hand (not much) and I was able to get up to 1.028, which will put be about 1.035 after boil instead of the 1.040 it should be.

So, should I just let it be REALLY light, (bringing to boil right now) or add table suger to bring up to OG? The sugar wouldn't really add any flavor, so is it worth it? I also have lactose sitting around, but I can't imagine that is appropriate.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

I just brewed this last night and was 1031 preboil, so I did a 90 minute boil. OG was 1041 after my boil. I just have .5 gallon less than expected.

I think thats what I'll do. Unfortunately, it is a 3 gallon batch... so a half gallon missing is a big hit. I'd rather have 2.5 gallons of good beer than 3 gallons of something thin though.

I'm sure the boil is over, but I'll chime in anyway.

Don't add table sugar. It will impart a cidery flavor to your beer. I like the longer boil idea, but you could also add more dme to tomorrow if you have a lhbs

Back