Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hey i have a 50 foot copper wort chiller that i made and have only used it once. But i wanted to know the best way to clean it. Is it ok to use hot water soap and a sponge to clean it and then with 30 min left in my boil just toss it in? Would this work fine or do i need to do more?

I'm not quite sure why that wouldn't work. You can also make a paste with baking soda and distilled vinegar and rub it onto the coil, let it sit 30 secs or so and rinse clean with hot water, although I might worry about residual vinegar flavor - just rinse extremely well.

While not speaking from experience... Cleaning it with vinegar should take any tarnish off the pipe. If you don't do this, your wort will and all that lovely tarnish will be in your beer. I remember reading that somewhere. Maybe it was in one of the beginner's sticky's. You just need to soak the chiller in a vinegar water solution and you should be good to go. Maybe a good wipe down too but I can't imagine the copper would be dirty. As long as it's shiny and you put it in the wort before you end the boil you should be good to go.

Back