quick question on fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspaldi0

Reaction score
I have searched and read through a lot of the various methods for fermentation chambers, and I have settled on either using a regular fridge or using a mini-fridge and building a larger chamber with insulation. In your opinions, which do you think would give me the most room (would like room for 3 different vessels) and be able to lager? I already have a mini-fridge from college, but I don't mind spending the money on a larger fridge if you all think that would best suit my needs. Anyone have any experience with both, or have a suggestion on which one would be better? Thanks for any help, and I apologize in advance for another question on fermentation chambers.

I saw a pretty ingenius build in the DIY section where someone combined the idea of the polystyrene chiller and a mini fridge. Basically built onto the mini fridge with the insulation making a chamber large enough for several fermenters. since you already have the minifridge, this might be fun to try, though getting a super cheap full size fridge would be easier I'd imagine.

I personally hunted down a full sized freezer (fridge would work too, but hard to find them without a seperate freezer compartment) because I wanted capacity for 4. Paid $100 off Craigslist

My reasoning for this:
1) A chest freezer leaves a lot of empty space and wouldn't fit very much unless I got a huge one
2) a mini fridge would work fine, but hold 1-2 carboys tops
3) a regular fridge/freezer would hold probably 2 carboys on the bottom, then have a ton of wasted space

Here's my setup

4560980593_6b872463d3.jpg

That looks like a nice setup. I also agree with you TheGeek about it being easier to just use a fridge or freezer like posted above. What type of temp controller did you get munche?

I ponied up $130 for this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664//Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

Also, apparently the price went up $15 since i looked last! ouch. I plan on adding a heating element to it around winter time. Although I talked to my local craft brewer who explained that they don't even run a heating element on their normal house brews. "In the winter it'll get around 40 or so in here, but it just ends up taking a bit longer to brew"

If anything it reassured me that I was ok through the cold snap Cali is having since I don't have a heater yet. I would imagine it's a lot more necessary in colder climates, too. Although at the price morebeer is charging might be worth it to buy 2 single stage controllers.

Word of warning if you go with freezers: try to find one without cooling lines in the shelves. I managed to bend/tweak my shelves out of the way, but it would have been much much easier to just be able to pull out the shelves.

I ponied up $130 for this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664//Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

Also, apparently the price went up $15 since i looked last! ouch. I plan on adding a heating element to it around winter time. Although I talked to my local craft brewer who explained that they don't even run a heating element on their normal house brews. "In the winter it'll get around 40 or so in here, but it just ends up taking a bit longer to brew"

If anything it reassured me that I was ok through the cold snap Cali is having since I don't have a heater yet. I would imagine it's a lot more necessary in colder climates, too. Although at the price morebeer is charging might be worth it to buy 2 single stage controllers.

Word of warning if you go with freezers: try to find one without cooling lines in the shelves. I managed to bend/tweak my shelves out of the way, but it would have been much much easier to just be able to pull out the shelves.
Instead of purchasing a heating element just plug in an incandescent light bulb as they generate a lot of heat.

Back