Quick question! Are pop offs good for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
I know the answer is no. But why is it that I (accidentally) used some budweisers bottles and when I opened them, didnt taste any different from all the other ones? Can someone explain?

You can use them, but the way they are threaded means that they have a better chance of not sealing as well as the other kind. If that happens then you will end up with flat beer. In your case this didn't happen, and will likely not happen most of the time. But when it does happen you'll feel it's a bummer.

What do you mean by pop offs??? Twist off caps?? You tasted no difference. Why are you asking anything then. I'd be asking why my beer tasted different.

If I recall correctly, the twist off bottles are also a little thinner at the top, and more susceptible to breakage if you try and cap them.

Both of the above are correct, the bottles are usually thinner and the chance of leakage is higher so you get flat beer. Flat beer works fine for beer batter fish so that isn't a wasted bottle anyway.

I've tried twist off bottles and re-used the caps. I was able to get the cap on fairly tightly, but I guess not tightly enough. You can use Grolsch type bottles, regular pry off bottles or plastic soda bottles.

Latest posts

Back