Quick please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crondog

Reaction score
My wife went to the brew shop today to get me some wyeast on the way home the little packet inside the bag got popped I need to get a few more pieces for my mash tun so I can't brew tell tomarrow how do I save my my yeast!?

put it in the fridge and take out few hours before brewing or better if you can make starter now and when its ready put it in the fridge and keep it there till ready to pitch

I would do one or two things, probably the second.

1. Throw it in the fridge to put the hungry little guys to sleep. Pull it out tomorrow and let warm a bit and then pitch.

or

2. Make a starter tonight and shake it up as often as you can. The yeast will start reproducing. Pitch it tomorrow night.

Edit: Polboy beat me to it!

How did it possibly pop by itself?

Anyway no worries at all. Leave it on the kitchen counter until you are ready to pitch. That is not too long or too hot unless your kitchen is over 100°.

Though you should be making a starter when using liquid yeast.

Just toss it in the fridge in an unsealed gallon ziplock ( in case it ruptures, which is highly unlikely) then bring it out and pitch as usual into cooled wort. I wouldn't worry about it. Brew on!

Can I use like 2lb two row in one gal water in a pot in the oven for like an hour?

Dan said:
I would do one or two things, probably the second.

1. Throw it in the fridge to put the hungry little guys to sleep. Pull it out tomorrow and let warm a bit and then pitch.

or

2. Make a starter tonight and shake it up as often as you can. The yeast will start reproducing. Pitch it tomorrow night.

Edit: Polboy beat me to it!

Can I use like 2lb two row in one gal water in a pot in the oven for like an hour?

You can make a small starter with some equipment from around around the kitchen. And if you happen to have a clean paintstrainer bag laying around that's a plus but not essential. Course your grain bill will be shortened a few ounces. Let me check my notes on measurements for grain and water and I'll check back in.

I also have a beer that's still carbonating could I pour some in to a jug and pinch its a fruit ale and my next is going to be a cal common ?

Sorry it took so long to get back. I've been looking at my notes and realized I need to take better notes. But here's what I got. Eight oz crushed two row, 1/2 gallon of water. Heat water to around 155 degrees, add grain stir well, temp will drop, get back and maintain around 150-155 for 20 minutes. Strain into a bowl (a colander works well) Boil 15 minutes. Cool, pitch yeast.

Thanks for the help I put the yeast in the frige is seems to be fine. I think I will still make a starter and brew tomorrow. Thanks again I will keep you posted on how things work out

So I made a starter. And every thing went well wort started to bubble next day and the beer came out great. Thanks for the help

Glad to hear it! That little packet is just nutrients. The swelling is just a sign of happy yeast- try not to worry in the future, but a starter is ALWAYS a good idea! I never say this, but RDWHAHB is always good in these little situations.

Back