Quick help: Double IPA late hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About to do our first double IPA and trying to finalize the late hops. Basic framework is Pliny, and we have plenty of Columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo on hand.

Our philosophy on our brewhouse is to basically only do a bittering addition and throw any and all late hops into the whirlpool. Was thinking Columbus at first wort, then equal parts Simcoe/Amarillo in the whirlpool. Also considering mixing some Columbus in late, but not sure if that would muddle things up to much. What do you guys think?

Cheers!

I don't know much about FWH, so no help there. Nor have I ever had Pliny or Heady Topper or any other legendary and impossible to find IPA. But my hopping philosophy is essentially the same as yours. I'd look at the Pliny(http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/08/pliny-elder-clone-30.html) and Heady Topper (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/heady-topper-can-you-clone-390082/) recipes and use those as inspiration, though not as a mandate. I don't know how fruity vs dank you want the beer, but when it's ready, Rogue-Brewers.com and I will make the drive.

When I did my Pliny clone, I think I had a bit too much bittering. it faded out and ended up being my fav so far, but early on it was a punch in the face. I'd go more heavy late/whirlpool/dryhop if possible than I did.
I used:
-90 3.5oz Columbus
-45 .75oz Columbus
-30 1oz Simcoe
Whirlpool/steep for 30min 1oz Centennial, 2.5oz of Simcoe
Dry hop 1(4 days) 1oz Columbus, 1oz Simcoe, 1oz Centennial
Dry hop 1(4 days) .5oz Columbus, .5oz Simcoe, .5oz Centennial

About to do our first double IPA and trying to finalize the late hops. Basic framework is Pliny, and we have plenty of Columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo on hand.

Our philosophy on our brewhouse is to basically only do a bittering addition and throw any and all late hops into the whirlpool. Was thinking Columbus at first wort, then equal parts Simcoe/Amarillo in the whirlpool. Also considering mixing some Columbus in late, but not sure if that would muddle things up to much. What do you guys think?

Cheers!

I love the combo of simcoe and amarillo, and I can see columbus in there as well for the "dank". Probably 2:1 for the columbus; I mean 1 ounce columbus for every two ounces (each) of simcoe and amarillo in late additions. I like what columbus brings- the dank citrus- but in smaller quantities in late additions.

I love the combo of simcoe and amarillo, and I can see columbus in there as well for the "dank". Probably 2:1 for the columbus; I mean 1 ounce columbus for every two ounces (each) of simcoe and amarillo in late additions. I like what columbus brings- the dank citrus- but in smaller quantities in late additions.

Perfect! Ended up doing just that. 2:2:1 Simcoe/Amarillo/Columbus.

Went for 110-120 calculated IBUs, so we'll see how it comes out once lab tested. Cheers and thanks guys/gals!

Back