Quick faucet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
I just converted my fridge over to a kegerator with perlick taps :rockin:
But my question is this; before I had picnic taps and with 5' of line at 10 psi i would get about 1/2" to 1" of head, which was great. Now I have th faucets, same psi, same line length and its all foam for the most part. Just need some quick opinions on this.

Are you using the same inside diameter line? That's the only thing I can think that may be causing it. Assuming both lines are chilled (inside the refrigerator).

Yeah I actually reused the lines, and they are inside the fridge. One thing I did notice is that on my wheat beer line, it seems to be collecting air pockets inside the liquid line. I know for sure all my connections are tight (same one at the quick disconnect) and I had to boil my hose to fit it over the barb, plus a clamp.

Same beer with both? Air pockets in the line are usually CO2 coming out of suspension, which typically means serving pressure is below carbonation pressure, (i.e. you are overcarbed). If you have the same kegs on Perlicks that you had on picnics though, this isn't an issue, as it didn't magically overcarb overnight....

Well, I would say the faucets are about 6" lower than what I would normally pour a beer at with the cobra taps. I can't figure out how it would become overcarbed, especially since i carbed at 12psi, then lowered to 10psi ever since. It's really got me confused, just when I thought I had this kegging monster figured out, THIS!

Might be a silly question, but are you opening the faucet all the way? I learned that the best way to pour a beer was to quickly, fully open the faucet instead of the newb attempt of opening it slowly to avoid too much foam. If the pressure is right, the beer won't fly all over the place but will come out nicely with just the right amount of foam.

Might be a silly question, but are you opening the faucet all the way? I learned that the best way to pour a beer was to quickly, fully open the faucet instead of the newb attempt of opening it slowly to avoid too much foam. If the pressure is right, the beer won't fly all over the place but will come out nicely with just the right amount of foam.

Yeah I pull the tap fully open while pouring. It comes out foam the first couple of seconds, then after that its clear runnings.

Hmm, a couple seconds seems kinda long for foam. Usually I would pop it open for a real short burst to get the faucet cold, then pour the beer with no issues. The first part of the pour should be down the side of the glass before standing it upright to fill the glass. That might help too. Also, never dunk the faucet in the head! When I worked as a beer-line cleaner, I saw dried foam on way too many of the faucets! It was gross, and would cause the faucets to get sticky. I couldnt' believe how many bartenders did this.

Your hose seems a little short to me for 12psi no pun intended! I would try the plastic dip tube inserts. I use 2-3 per keg and can go up to 16psi with minimal foaming issues and 5-6' of hose.

Your hose seems a little short to me for 12psi no pun intended! I would try the plastic dip tube inserts. I use 2-3 per keg and can go up to 16psi with minimal foaming issues and 5-6' of hose.

what are these? I've never heard of them for I am a n00b at kegging (with faucets at least). Do you have a link?

I would say most use them because 4-6 kegs in a fridge would need more hose than the fridge could hold.

I beg to differ. 5 kegs, 10' lines...and they are normally much better coiled so they fit even neater...:

04KI5.jpg

It sounds like you are accumulating co2 at the faucet and that's why you are pouring foam at the beginning of your pour and then it clears up after that. I'm guessing that when you had the cobra taps, they were stored at the bottom of your kegerator. Any co2 that came out of solution would travel up the line and would not accumulate near the tap. Now that you have mounted taps, the level of the tap is higher, and any co2 that comes out of solution is going to accumulate at the tap, thus producing foam when you start pouring.

If you pour 2 glasses, how is the foam on your 2nd pour? If it doesn't foam then this is your problem. If it still foams then you have line length problems.

Also, what is your kegerator situation? Keezer with a collar? or a tower? A warm tower could also be your problem.

I have a fridge like pictured above, a wooden shelf built at the bottom and the shanks are comming thru next to the "butter" drawer. I think it might just be line length. I turned my psi down to 6psi and it poured as it did before.

I have a fridge like pictured above, a wooden shelf built at the bottom and the shanks are comming thru next to the "butter" drawer. I think it might just be line length. I turned my psi down to 6psi and it poured as it did before.

Ah ah, a solution. I think you are correct with the line length thing. Buy some more hose, bro. (Or buy those wacky epoxy mixers....whatever floats your, er, keg...)

D you keep you co2 tank in the fridge also?

Nope. Just outside. In the top left corner of the fridge you can just barely make out some of the orange hoses entering the fridge. I can have the CO2 inside the fridge and fit 5 kegs, but this puts the CO2 tank at the back of the fridge, which makes adjustment and monitoring a major PITA. Moving it outside gives me room for a 6th keg, and also allows me to easily glance at, and adjust, pressures. I have one line from each regulator enter the fridge. Once inside, one line is split into two using a barbed SS "T", and the other enters a 3-way distribution block with air compressor quick disconnects.

Back