quick disconnects vs camlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i saw the price difference, any suggestions on what ones i need to get? do the different cam-locks do different things?

i have a 8gal HLT, keggel, a cooler and a pump

I love my QD's - one hand operation both on and off. I haven't used cam locks. For me, the price difference wasn't that important to me as I don't have that many connectors. But the QDs are very convenient, and on brew day cost is less valuable than ease and time.

There are different cam for the hose part. Bobby m sells 90 turned downed street elbows that are full port and screw into the cams with male threads. That will keep you full port.

I'll offer my perspective. I could have sold either type or both but there are two reasons I opted not to carry the ball lock QDs. For one thing, they are restricted flow and that doesn't do you any favors on the suction side of a mag drive pump (cavitation problems over 180F). Second, they're rather proprietary on the business side (male/female parts). They don't match with the ones Morebeer sells and ending up with a set that needs to be upgraded when you can't find the parts anymore is a concern. Camlocks are milspec and mostly standard around the world. Finding a compatible part in the future is not contingent on a single vendor staying in business. As a consumer, the camlocks are more attractive for those reasons. I try to make my product decisions based on what I'd select as the brewer.

I'll offer my perspective. I could have sold either type or both but there are two reasons I opted not to carry the ball lock QDs. For one thing, they are restricted flow and that doesn't do you any favors on the suction side of a mag drive pump (cavitation problems over 180F). Second, they're rather proprietary on the business side (male/female parts). They don't match with the ones Morebeer sells and ending up with a set that needs to be upgraded when you can't find the parts anymore is a concern. Camlocks are milspec and mostly standard around the world. Finding a compatible part in the future is not contingent on a single vendor staying in business. As a consumer, the camlocks are more attractive for those reasons. I try to make my product decisions based on what I'd select as the brewer.

Yes I agree with this. I have the more beer QD and am stuck with buying from them only. I was unaware of this when I first purchased and tried to get buy one from another vendor only to find out that it won't fit. But I do like my QD even though they cost more

Latest posts

Back