Quick build of a fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
I Decided to build a quick fermentation chamber this afternoon as I realised Saturdays brew was going to need some coolking tomorrow so it gave me incentive to get it working.

I had an STC1000 and a fridge ready. Everything else I had sitting around waiting to get round to the project.
A bit rough and ready but no exposed live 230V connections and redundant strain relief. I used ferrules to make sure there were no stray wires because I had them. If I can find a longer screw I could screw the orange terminal strip to the back of the STC1000.

I used parts from an old extension cord etc. Ideally I would like an independent fuse for the STC1000 but not much risk attached to the top of a fridge, also high enough to be out the way of visiting children.
The self adhesive cable tie mounts make it easy. it is temporary but it will probably last a reasonable time.

The yellow power cord is 1.5MM^2 so a bit overkill for 230V for just a fridge but wanted the other end of the cord for My CNC mill where the thicker wire is needed. A surplus IEC computer power cord with the IEC end hacked off as the power in.

I forgot the extension cord had a neon in it so now it glows when the fridge is on.
One day I will 3d print a box with a space for the fuse and some cable glands etc for for now its functional.

20180415_164135.jpg
20180415_164149.jpg
20180415_164205.jpg
20180415_164223.jpg
20180415_164304.jpg
20180415_164356.jpg
20180415_164135.jpg
20180415_164149.jpg
20180415_164205.jpg
20180415_164223.jpg
20180415_164304.jpg
20180415_164356.jpg

For those in USA or other countries that are confused by the wire colours visible.
NZ uses:
230V
Phase = red or brown
Neutral = black or blue
Earth = green or green/yellow

The harvested power cords had brown blue green/yellow but my link wires are red and black as I had spools of suitably rated wire.

I checked before and after work and its cycling the fridge on and off and holding a steady 18.1C so within 0.1C of the setpoint so I'm happy but I now have 3 fridges consuming power,
The main kitchen fridge/fgreezer, the kegerator+food freezer (converted F&P active smart) and the fermentation chamber (older fridge/freezer with cold plates in both the fridge and freezer part.

I'm running out of room for refrigeration equipment LOL

This fermentation chamber is working well but I would like to wire the STC1000 directly in the place of the fridges thermostat so I can have the fridge light work normally as the lighting in my shed where it is located is poor.

That requires tracing wires so not a high priority, Just a nice to have pne day.

On my kegerator I intercepted the temperature sensor of the fridge so the light in that works and the door open alarm works etc but i found a service manual for that. The activesmart was easy and being a modern design the freezer kept working even when i used the fridge as a fermentation chamber before the kegerator conversion.

I guess I should try and hunt down the service manual for the non active smart models. Its a pretty basic fridge so should just switch power to the compressor I guess so i could just pull ot appart and trace wires but they go from thermostat at top to compressor at bottom with no easy access in between. Shouldnt be many wires though.

Back