Quick answer please: 4 Months bulk aging, repitch necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
Was about to start bottling...I've got everything laid out and set up. Then I realized, holy crap, I probably need to repitch.
I've got two batches to bottle that I brewed back in October (4 months ago, 3+ months in secondary). One is an English Old Ale with an OG of 1.078 and the other is Foreign Extra Stout with an OG of 1.063. The Old Ale was pitched with White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast and the Stout with WLP007 English Dry Ale Yeast. They've been in the basement on the concrete floor, at high 50's low 60's all winter, and cold crashed yesterday.
I can drive to the LHBS to buy some yeast if I need...but what kind of yeast would I use? Can I just buy a vial and mix half it in with the priming solution for each batch?
Thanks for the quick answers.

Everything I've read says that the carbonation yeast won't add any noticeable flavor contribution, so cheap and dry is the recommendation I would make.

I want to say that Palmer even suggests using an Ale yeast for lagers. (Don't quote me on that though, I skimmed over all the Lager parts of the book since I'm not a fan of sucking on fermented eggs.)

+1, just use some US-05 or S-04 it'll be just fine. Heck, you could use wine or champagne yeast if you wanted.

On another note, I'd be willing to bet you don't need new yeast. It'll come out of dormancy and multiply after you bottle and add that priming sugar. Just keep it somewhere warmer for bottle conditioning otherwise it's gonna take a long time to carb up.

Back