Quick 3724 Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
I've got my first saison fermenting away right now. I ramped the temperature up from 68 to 90 over 4 days.

For those that have fermented the beer at higher temps, do you shoot for 90 ambient or 90 degrees in the liquid beer?

For archival purposes, I'd like to provide an update with the information I've learned from other websites.

The manufacturer recommends 90 degrees for the entire fermentation process.

Several folks have mentioned that a temperature variation of just a couple degrees is enough to drop the yeast out and cause the infamous fermentation stall between 1.022 and 1.035.

Monitoring and controlling the ferm temp based on the liquid temperature seems to be the clear (and common sense) answer.

Another update for those who may see this thread in the future:

I began fermentation at 68 degrees, then ramped it up 2 degrees on each subsequent day. After about 4 days, I cranked the temperature to 90 degrees, where it stayed for about 10 days. At that point, I checked the gravity and it was right around 1.022. I needed to brew another beer, so I wrapped the fermentor in blanket and moved it to my garage, where it stayed for another 2 weeks. FG came out at 1.010.

I decided to harvest the yeast from this batch and try it again, since I've read that the second use of 3724 is much easier to work with.

Using one mason jar's worth of harvested yeast, I made a starter and pitched it into wort with an OG of 1.064. This time, I set my fermentation temperature at 85F from the very beginning, and I plan to leave it there right up until cold crashing.

After 3 days, my gravity was 1.015, which should be past any potential stalling points. Hooray!

Because I changed so many variables (mash temp, grain bill, yeast cell count, yeast re-use, and fermentation temp), I can't say what specifically helped my fermentation profile. Nevertheless, I intend to continue re-using this yeast in future batches.

A sad day for 3724...

I tasted my first bottle from my harvested 3724 saison, and there's a distinct off flavor that is present in the flavor and aroma. It is a fairly unpleasant note, and I perceive it similar to burnt fingernails. Not pleasant.

I've experienced it once before, and I think it may be from fermenting too hot initially. This would be most upsetting.

I will take a bottle to my next brew club meeting and solicit some feedback.

I may need to go back and gradually ramp up the fermentation temperature instead of starting it in the 80s.

Back