Questions Questions about yeast and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyrenaica

Reaction score
hallo every body ....
so i live in a country where alcohol is illegal .
... and i do some homebrewing .. i had make some wine and some hard cider using baker's yeast :(
and now i want to make beer ... so im doing every thing from scratch .. right now im malting barley ... in middle of Germinating process ..
and since we dont have beer yeast or hops .. is it OK to use baker's yeast ?
and what about using rosemary as alternative for hops ? we do have a lot of rosemary and Juniper in my city.

I don't think that rosemary or juniper will provide what hops do for beer. You could probably order some hops and dry yeast online and use those.

Juniper berries are the main flavoring agent used in gin though, if you need a new hobby.....

P.S. I'm not condoning illegal activity here, just offering suggestions.

sounds like someone needs to start taking shots at harvesting their own wild yeast

Juniper and Heather were sometimes used in gruit beers (prehop beers) along with a number of other wild plants and herbs.

I would be curious to try experimenting with some of them. Also if there is a species of spruce tree native to your country, the young spruce tips can be used in beer.

Bakers yeast will work, but it won't taste as good as a strain of yeast designed for brewing.

I don't think that rosemary or juniper will provide what hops do for beer. You could probably order some hops and dry yeast online and use those.

Juniper berries are the main flavoring agent used in gin though, if you need a new hobby.....

P.S. I'm not condoning illegal activity here, just offering suggestions.

man ..i am from a country in middle of civilwar ... where alcohol is forbidden .. and you tal me to order it online .... :mad:
thanx any way MagicMatt :)

Juniper and Heather were sometimes used in gruit beers (prehop beers) along with a number of other wild plants and herbs.

I would be curious to try experimenting with some of them. Also if there is a species of spruce tree native to your country, the young spruce tips can be used in beer.

Bakers yeast will work, but it won't taste as good as a strain of yeast designed for brewing.

i will try it with rosemary and Juniper ... or maybe both of them and i will tell you what happened

Cyrenaica, Welcome to Homebrew talk! I understand your problem of being in conflict with the prohibition of alcohol, and a civil war. My country has delt with both of those problems in the past. Times are a changing, because of people like you that challenge the status quo.
Yes Brewers yeast is better than wild yeast, for style. Experiment with rosemarry, and juniper, you could stumble onto something great. Please be careful, don't get yourself into trouble.

Latest posts

Back