Questions for cider and yeast cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpeters

Reaction score
Im getting ready to start a blueberry cider but have a few questons. I plan to use 5 gallons Costco fresh pressed apple juice (pasturized) 2 cans apple concentrate. and 80oz frozen wild blue berries and Wyeast Cider yeast.

First question, I want use 40 oz blueberries in both primary and secondary. Will i need to use camden tablets for these prior to added or with them being frozen will that cover me. If needed how many?

Second question, I plan to wash yeast on this and wonder if adding blueberries to primary will the yeast take on the flavor and color? if so would it be small enough that if i used on other none blueberry ciders it would not matter.

I plan to back sweeten or stop fermentation sooner to produce a sweeter cider. any recommendation on best way of doing this?

Sorry all the question, new to this and not sure of best methods.

I have learned that fresh fruit (I would consider frozen the same) needs to go into the secondary. In the primary all of your fruitiness will go right out the fermenter lock. I also read to boil for sanitizing, and freezing to break down the cell walls of the fruit, for added flavor and aroma. Camden I don't know.

Washing yeast I learned to always do the lighter brews first, then to do the same or darker brews the next time.

Thanks, any thought on the DME and Honey Malt. I think at some point I need to quit thinking about it and just do it :eek:

I have learned that fresh fruit (I would consider frozen the same) needs to go into the secondary. In the primary all of your fruitiness will go right out the fermenter lock. I also read to boil for sanitizing, and freezing to break down the cell walls of the fruit, for added flavor and aroma. Camden I don't know.

IMHO it is a bad idea to boil fruit or fruit juice. It sets pectins and can alter the fruits flavor.

The fact that the fruit is frozen does not mean that it is sanitized. Personally, I would mix up the cider, concentrate, and blueberries and add some camden tabs. Wait 24 hours and the pitch my yeast. It is usually suggested to use 1 camden tablet per gallon. I tend to go on the light side, so I use about 2/3 of that amount.

Adding 1/2 the fruit to the primary and 1/2 to the secondary is fine. I add most fruits to the secondary, but adding fruit to the primary seems to be gaining in popularity.

Adding DME seems to be popular on HBT. I am more traditional and prefer not to add barley to my apple cider.

Back