Questions?Apple cyser.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I decided to make an apfelwein/cyser.Had a old 2.5 gallon Mr.Beer barrel not being used so why not experiment.Problem is i did not give much thought to what i was doing and now after reading and watching countless articles and videos that I treated this to simple.Took a sample last night and it was tart and dry with a nice apple aroma.

SG:did not take one(wish i had now)

2 gallons store bought apple juice
1.5 pounds clover honey
1/4 pound corn sugar

3/4 packet of lalvin 71b-1122

So should i wait another week and secondary?Can or should I top off with more juice into a larger secondary vessel?(3 gallon better bottle the SWMBO will love that)Should I add any enzymes or minerals to secondary?Sorry for all the noob questions but meads and cysers are a new arena for me and something i do once a year..well apfelwein once a year.

If it tastes good then you couldn't have messed up too badly!

Can you still take a reading? If so you should. If it's done fermenting, you can rack it onto double the usual amount of pectic enzyme to clear any potential pectic haze.

Topping off will sweeten it a bit, and maybe restart fermentation. If you like it tart and dry I wouldn't top it off unless you need to minimize headspace, although 71b will smooth out the tartness over time as it metabolizes the malic acid in the cider/juice.

Offhand I'd say top it off and secondary.

Three weeks is a leeeeeeeettle bit on the young side for a cider if you're not going to drink it as-is. Though it's probably made a good deal of the alcohol that it'll make, you may well find it gets drier (dryer?) if you leave it longer to age. Another gallon of apple juice will keep it to the humane side of dry, or a tube or two of frozen concentrate would make it more like party sweet. Hey, barring yeast farts there's no harm in drinking it now either.

Back