Questions about the Duotight / EVABarrier system for my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,
After searching around the forums, I still have some questions.

[EDIT: Purchase processed.]

So, I've built my first keezer. It's a 4-tap [corny keg] system w/20# CO2 tank. I've spent some money on this journey and while waiting for my food grade beer line which is stuck in Alabama, I started looking into this 60psi Duotight inline gas regulator and Then learned of the product EVABarrier. I did a search here on HBT and found this thread as well as KegLand's explanation video on youtube. Well, that stopped everything.

The beer line and gas line can be returned easily enough, but ... (pondering this further financial investment, even though I don't really know how I can avoid it if I want good beer) ... can you help me with the list of items I need as well as anything else I should take into consideration?

Regarding the Duotight gas regulator, on a HBT thread, I read: "just be careful because of plastic build". I should find that comment again to see what specifically it was talking about. Gas regulators having larger dials with metal housing variants are cost-prohibitive at this time, but I will gladly make note of any suggestions as well.

Huge Question:
If I use aforementioned 4 Duotight gas regulators, why do I even need a gas distributor in the path directly after the CO2 tank? That seems redundant. See sketch below. Wouldn't I just have to make sure I have the most carbonated beers in decreasing order accordingly?

PXL_20210401_155919837.jpg

Okay, the gas path:
  • I have a 4-way gas distributor with 5/16 (8mm) barbs [Based on necessity, I will remove this from the equation.] --->
  • (My dual guage CO2 regulator has a removable barb, so I can replace it with a Duotight connector.)
  • EVABarrier 8mm gas line --->
  • Push-in "T" connector (x3) --->
  • Push-in "L" connector (x1)
  • Duotight gas regulator (x4) --->
  • Duotight check valves (x4) --->
  • Duotight connector for ball locks (x4) --->
  • Anything I missed?

5 cu. ft. freezer: lager fermenter
PXL_20210331_005456205.jpg
10.6 cu. ft freezer: dispenser
w/amazing air circulation system.
PXL_20210331_000607248.jpg
Room for CO2 tank + 5th keg
PXL_20210331_005434934.jpg

Last (haha, YSR), but not least, do you know if I can use Craft Meister's BLC on this EVABarrier tubing (for the liquid side of course)?
Thank you in advance for any beneficial help you're able to provide.
Belgian Samurai

Last edited:
You could get some shutoff valves, and maybe some spare pieces. People have had issues with the threaded Duotight connectors cracking, so be careful with installation.

You could also keep the tank outside the freezer.

So, just clarifying, but the Duotight gas regulators are not able to shut off the gas flow??
I don't know, I don't have them on mine. It might be nice to keep the pressure setting untouched and be able to easily open and close off the gas flow.

Don't forget to order the little plastic crescents to lock the tubing connections in place.

Here's my setup:
20201031_122204.jpg

I don't know, I don't have them on mine. It might be nice to keep the pressure setting untouched and be able to easily open and close off the gas flow.

Don't forget to order the little plastic crescents to lock the tubing connections in place.
Oh, I like your methodology! @ keeping the pressure setting untouched as well as a simply on/off valve.
Also, what is this crescent you speak of? I didn't find one at on their website.

Oh, I like your methodology! @ keeping the pressure setting untouched as well as a simply on/off valve.
Also, what is this crescent you speak of? I didn't find one at on their website.

You can remove the tubing by pushing it in at the fitting. Jostling it the wrong way could unintentionally push it in, causing a leak. These little clips go around the connection, preventing it from being pushed in. They are the little blue things in the above picture. They really should come with the fittings, because they can make the difference between a happy day and a sad day of your tank emptying itself.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YGR576K/

They really should come with the fittings
Wow, thanks for the save!
Is the tubing cutter worth the $4 or just use a sharp box cutter?

Sorry to spam you with notifications. Thanks for all of your help. Cheers!

[...]
Last (haha, YSR), but not least, do you know if I can use Craft Meister's BLC on this EVABarrier tubing (for the liquid side of course)?
[...]

I have used both Craft Meister BLC and Five Star LLC over the years and found them functionally equivalent caustic line cleaning products. I buy the 32 ounce bottles which last for years. I've been running EVABarrier for 17 months now and have done four recirculating cleaning cycles with LLC with no evident issues. I would have no worries about using BLC, either...

Cheers!

I have used both Craft Meister BLC and Five Star LLC over the years and found them functionally equivalent caustic line cleaning products. I buy the 32 ounce bottles which last for years. I've been running EVABarrier for 17 months now and have done four recirculating cleaning cycles with LLC with no evident issues. I would have no worries about using BLC, either...

Cheers!
Thanks!! Good to know!
I've been reading your comments along with everyone else's on forum threads Marc linked above. I have a lot to read. I'm on page 2 of the first thread. We'll see how deep I dive into subsequent pages. haha

Thank you to all of the valuable information you all shared.
Marc, I read through all of those linked threads and decided it was the route to go (not that you were discouraging the decision), but I sure am glad to know what to watch out for. Products purchased!

Cheers! :mug:

anybody have issues with the Duotight secondary regulators? I've had 2 spontaneously break (where the cone shaped piece of plastic where the key valve screws into). I've sent a message to MoreBeer's customer support and so far got nothing but crickets. Kind of sucks as 3 out of 6 are bad. Got half a mind to say F it and go with the really expensive 6 gauge TapRite regulator and call it a wash

anybody have issues with the Duotight secondary regulators? I've had 2 spontaneously break (where the cone shaped piece of plastic where the key valve screws into). I've sent a message to MoreBeer's customer support and so far got nothing but crickets. Kind of sucks as 3 out of 6 are bad. Got half a mind to say F it and go with the really expensive 6 gauge TapRite regulator and call it a wash
did MoreBeer ever get back to you about those secondaries? I do like the price-point of them to run with the rest of my DuoTight setup, but if they are breaking.. that doesn't help anyone.

This is now an oldish kinda thread, but I bought my duotight regulators at Williams Brewing. I did have a couple that weren't behaving quite right in regards to pressure regulation and they sent me new ones.
He never updated after his issue, so I was wanting to know. How are yours now with being replaced?

He never updated after his issue, so I was wanting to know. How are yours now with being replaced?

They're great, love them! I have a variety of stuff so being able to have multiple pressures in a small amount of space works out really well. I've got an extra to force carb too.

Back