Questions about First Racking, Second Racking, and Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrantheCro

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first time making mead and I have a couple questions regarding racking and filtration.

I'm using a 14 gallon SS Chronical from Brewtech with a chilling coil and a heating pad included.

I'm currently nearing the end of the fermentation phase (my gravity is very close to 1.000; it was 1.020 last I checked a couple of days ago). My understanding of the first racking is that I should wait until gravity reaches 1.000 and then rack. Is that correct?

I currently have a wine filtration system, could I forego the second racking and immediately filter the mead straight into the bottles for ageing, or should I allow the particles in the mead to settle to rack again before I filter and bottle?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Yes, you can rack anytime your near comete. I typically do my 1st rack at 1.010 and then let it "finish" in secondary for 30 days or so to clarify and or until it just flat out stops.

I have a filter system and find it best to wait until after secondary. Filters get plugged pretty quickly unless the Mead is pretty clear. I start with a 10 micron, then go to 5 and 2.5 that tends to get it pretty clear. If I have residual sugar I go to 1 to get the vast majority of yeast. I do have a 0.45 if I'm concerned about getting any small yeast buds but have found it not to be necessary in most cases.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back