questions about cellarscience baja

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
i got a pack of cellarscience baja and i have never used this yeast before. it states on the pack that 12 g is enough for 5 gallons , i usually pitch 2 packs of diamond lager for a 5 gallon batch. is the 12 grams of baja enough like the pack says or would you pitch two packs.

thanks

I would definitely use 2 packs, especially since even their website says use 2:
Dosage:
Two 12g sachets are enough to treat a 5–6 gallon batch.
Cell Count: 10 billion cells per gram

1694719472238.png

thats odd since the pack says 12 g for 5 gallons but yeah im going to use two packs

the pack also says ferment at 48-50 a very narrow and low range imo. and the website says ferment 50-57 more like my usual lager fermentation temps. i wonder why the discrepancy ?

Last edited:
It’s not Baja, but I just snagged a pack of German lager from cellar science. I’ve never used their product before, but it’s so much cheaper than others (unless you always have to pitch double...)

Anyone have strong feeling (positive or negative) about cellar science?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/cellar-science-dry-german-and-dry-berlin-lager-yeasts.700689/
have a look at this thread comparing cellarscience german to berlin i think the gist is that german is 34/70 - a great and versatile yeast. and that berlin is s23 . i personally dont care for s23 as side by side tests with diamond lager and s23 yielded much cleaner beers with the diamond.

i tried to get my hands on some cellarscience german from morebeer but it required separate 8 $ shipping (ouch)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/cellar-science-dry-german-and-dry-berlin-lager-yeasts.700689/
have a look at this thread comparing cellarscience german to berlin i think the gist is that german is 34/70 - a great and versatile yeast. and that berlin is s23 . i personally dont care for s23 as side by side tests with diamond lager and s23 yielded much cleaner beers with the diamond.

i tried to get my hands on some cellarscience german from morebeer but it required separate 8 $ shipping (ouch)
Perfect. Thanks! I definitely have the German strain. I read it was similar to wlp 830 (which I like) and W34/70. I’m trying to come around to dry yeast, but will certainly be recycling yeast between batches. I’ve been using WLP860 for a while. It’s good, but has about 65-70% attenuation, so everything comes out high final gravity.

Back