Questions About 120V Electric Breweries and Which to Choose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm ready to jump into the world of brewing, and want to go directly into electric brewing. I live in a small-ish apartment, with not much room in the garage. I keep going back and forth on what I should get.

Are there any recommendations for 120v systems? Money isn't a huge issue, but if i could keep it below $3k, that is preferable. Right now I am between these, but am open to any suggestions:

http://www.brew-boss.com/Deluxe-120-Volt-10-Gallon-COFI-Brew-Boss-System-p/bb120120-dlx10-cofi.htm

http://brausupply.com/products/copy-of-unibrau-120v-5-gallon-countertop-electric-brew-system

http://brausupply.com/collections/single-vessel-systems/products/unibrau-pro-26-5l (this one is getting upgraded to 41.5L and dual 120v elements).

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/col...products/down-under-single-vessel-brew-system (20 gallons, but can either do hybrid gas/electric or add a second 120v element).

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/col...ucts/single-vessel-electric-brew-system-ebiab

http://www.morebeer.com/products/blichmann-breweasy-electric-120-turnkey-kit-5-gallon.html

I wish I could do 240V, but I can't. I'm hoping you guys can recommend one of the above due to positive experiences. I'm aware I probably won't be able to make very high gravity beers with some of these, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I would like to not have any limitations in what I can brew, but beggars cant be choosers. Also, please let me know if any of the above are known to have issues as it is hard to find reviews. Thanks!!

-Andrew

If you're willing to go up to 3k why wouldn't you be able to do 240V? Personally I like what I see from BrewBoss and High Gravity for their BIAB setups, But the standard 120v BrauSupply looks pretty good for the price.

I have some really strict landlords who would lose their minds if called an electrician in. Im not capable of doing it myself. Also, the landlords live down the street!

1 vote for Brausupply. I bought one of their systems early on and it's been great. For the price it's hard to beat.

And you should be able to make high gravity beers no problem. Just incorporate a sparge step if you want to make a 5 gallon batch or reduce the volume of beer that you make to something like 4 gallons. I regularly make 5 gallon batches in the 8-8.5% ABV range with my 9 gallon kettle, but I sparge.

So if I went brausupply...do you think there is a big difference in the quality of beer coming out of the tabletop system and the pro system? Basically what I'm getting at is that I want the ability to make the best beer possible. I don't want my equipment to hinder that. Can you make all-star beers with these 120v tabletop electric breweries?

So if I went brausupply...do you think there is a big difference in the quality of beer coming out of the tabletop system and the pro system? Basically what I'm getting at is that I want the ability to make the best beer possible. I don't want my equipment to hinder that. Can you make all-star beers with these 120v tabletop electric breweries?

Absolutely you can make world class beer on the table top versions. The quality of beer has almost nothing to do with the equipment you use. Sanitation and process does. Check out Mark Schoppe, the AHA Ninkasi award winner this year. Read the little bio they did on him. He brews on a very simple set up he's used for ages.

Just an e-mail from High Gravity all Electric Brewing Systems are $100 off, this is right up my ally. I'm pulling the trigger on the recirc. sys. next week the offer is good till the end of November. :ban:

Just an e-mail from High Gravity all Electric Brewing Systems are $100 off, this is right up my ally. I'm pulling the trigger on the recirc. sys. next week the offer is good till the end of November. :ban:

Thanks for the heads up. Brew-Boss is offering 10% off sitewide (i think) on Black Friday. If I go with them, that's like $200 off my order!

Is your stove electric? If it is you could run a 240 line without an electrician. Just a really expensive extension cord

I was looking at small profile electric systems for indoor winter brewing myself. I had it down to two, neither of which is in your original post (though I had looked at all of those as well). For me, it was down to the Grainfather and the High Gravity with recirculation. I tripped over a deal on yet another option not in the original post and I'll be going with a Zymatic. Without the deal, I'd have gone with the High Gravity rig. I'll still keep the 15G three vessel rig for bigger batches when weather and time permit.

Absolutely you can make world class beer on the table top versions. The quality of beer has almost nothing to do with the equipment you use. Sanitation and process does. Check out Mark Schoppe, the AHA Ninkasi award winner this year. Read the little bio they did on him. He brews on a very simple set up he's used for ages.

Agreed. The only thing you miss with some systems is the ability to perform certain techniques easier. For example, a step mash with a system that has a recirculating pump is much easier.

As with others, is your stove or washer/drier on 240V? Semi easy to hook up a cord to those by moving them a bit.

My stove may be, I'll have to check. It's an electric stove so good chance.

I can't use my washer/dryer as it belongs to the apartment complex. Would be some angry neighbors.

Thanks for all the info!:)

If your stove is electric, it's 240. Simply pace the unit in the kitchen and plug the cord into the stove outlet.

...but be careful. Stove outlets are usually NOT GFCI and a brewing rig should definitely be connected to a GFCI outlet.

Take this as anecdotal, but...

I am in metal manufacturing. Every piece of equipment I own, breaks, shears, saws, formers etc, are all 240 or 480, made of heavy steel, being used hands on every day all day, and none of them have gfci protection.

Is gfci safer sure, but would I feel comfortable brewing once per month without it....sure.....btw that stove I suspect is made of metal and I suspect we touch our stove daily without fear.

This is not advice, nor direction, it's simply what I would do.

Take this as anecdotal, but...

I am in metal manufacturing. Every piece of equipment I own, breaks, shears, saws, formers etc, are all 240 or 480, made of heavy steel, being used hands on every day all day, and none of them have gfci protection.

Is gfci safer sure, but would I feel comfortable brewing once per month without it....sure.....btw that stove I suspect is made of metal and I suspect we touch our stove daily without fear.

This is not advice, nor direction, it's simply what I would do.

Water is the one variable in brewing that you don't have in your heavy machinery. There's little to no risk of submerging the wiring, even with a stove.

Back