Question on US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
This past weekend was my first time using US-05, it's currently fermenting away a Mild Mannered Ale. This yeast seems to be a workhorse! It started showing some krausen Sunday evening, and has been churning away ever since at 63/64 deg. This morning (Wed) I came in to find it had blown out (just a little). I'm just surprised it took that long. I know the low temps contribute to a slow fermentation, but (finally the question) is US-05 a slow one to begin with?

There are variables outside of the yeast itself such as temperature of the wort when pitched, temperature during the fermentation (temp rises, usually), the gravity of the wort, the composition of the wort (short chain vs. long chain sugars/dextrins, etc) to really say whether the particular yeast is "quick to start" or not.

There are variables outside of the yeast itself such as temperature of the wort when pitched, temperature during the fermentation (temp rises, usually), the gravity of the wort, the composition of the wort (short chain vs. long chain sugars/dextrins, etc) to really say whether the particular yeast is "quick to start" or not.

+1 to this...

05 is probably my favorite basic yeast, I use it for probably 90 percent of my ales....it is a workhorse, but I have never gotten a blowoff from it.

I'm so used to brewing "clean" beers with it, that I'm actually backing off and playing around with yeasts that actually add character to the beer...I love it, but it is almost too clean...

I get a blowoff about half the time with US-05. It depends on headspace, to a large extent. US-05 is a vigorous fermenter, even at 60*F.

I have an 8.5 gallon batch fermenting at 60*F with US-05 now. The 5 gallons in the 6 gallon Better Bottle needed a blow off tube, the 3.5 gallons in the 5 gallon Better Bottle did not, though the krausen nearly got to the top.

In my limited experience - vigorous looking fermentation (serious krausen) is typically more a function of what's in the wort rather than the yeast. If I dont use kettle finings, I get more unflocculated protiens and also a huge krausen. The same beer with kettle finings will go clear into the carboy and will not have as big of a krausen. And both of these contrasting experiences were with US-05. My $0.02.

I used it in my amber ale. I pitched it at 72 *F and fermented it at 68-70. After a few hours it went crazy and by day 2 or 3 I had a blow out. This yeast was very fast and active.

I used US-05 in my American Wheat and the krausen built up big time about 24 hours after pitching. I fermented 5g in a 6.5g carboy and the krausen was at the 6g mark and it churned away for about 9 days @ 65degress in my basement.

I actually just bottled it yesterday and my sample pint was pretty good and very clean. I too love this yeast for most ales... the end result is very clean and there is very little lag time.

I use US-05 almost all the time. I've never had a blow-off tube need, but I ferment 5-gallon batches in 6.5 gallon buckets and all my beers so far have been normal sized (1.060ish and below).

I pitch without re-hydrating and ferment with my chamber set at 62*. It takes around 24 hours for airlock activity to really get thumping and is going strong for a couple days after that.

Yeah, I completely forgot that I'm using a better bottle for this (6 gal) and brewed up 5.5 gal. Which totally explains the blow off. I'm super psyched for this beer, it's been looking awesome every step of the way. And I love knowing that'll be drinking it in just a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back