US-05 vs Cider House Select

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lampy

Reaction score
Made two batches of hydromel in order to compare these yeasts. Each carboy only differed in the yeast used.

18 oz Pure n Simple honey and 3L lukewarm tap water shaken in a 1 gallon carboy. OG 1.042
1/2 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of dry yeast added and swirled.

Placed in dark closet to ferment.
Carboys were swirled regularly for the first five days.
CHS showed faster, more vigorous fermentation based on airlock activity and visible bubbles in the must.
By 1 week CHS had slowed down a lot but the US-05 was still chugging along.

After 3 weeks: US-05 FG 0.994, CHS FG 0.992 (not a clear difference on my hydrometer, this is my best approximation).
US-05 had a faint honey aroma and flavor on tasting, with noticeable alcohol (not jet fuel). The CHS was a muted on the honey and seemed "flatter" to the palate; alcohol was more pronounced. I preferred the US-05 at this point.
The meads were racked into 1 liter plastic bottles with 0.5 oz priming sugar + a small dash of nutrient in each.

After 1 week of conditioning I did a blind tasting. I was able to distinguish which was which based on my pre-conditioning tasting:
US-05: Aroma is light honey and slight hint of alcohol. Honey is notable on the palate too. Nicely carbonated and clear.
CHS: Aroma is slightly yeasty/vegetal, and had this same characteristic on the palate. Otherwise nearly indistinguishable from US-05.

Caveats: US-05 came from a packet I had opened, resealed, and kept in fridge. CHS yeast comes with a pre-blend of nutrients in the packet. I used the same spoon to measure both yeasts without cleaning it between (no visible particles of dry yeast remained, but maybe a few cells of US-05 got into the CHS batch.).

Made two batches of hydromel in order to compare these yeasts. Each carboy only differed in the yeast used.

18 oz Pure n Simple honey and 3L lukewarm tap water shaken in a 1 gallon carboy. OG 1.042
1/2 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of dry yeast added and swirled.

Placed in dark closet to ferment.
Carboys were swirled regularly for the first five days.
CHS showed faster, more vigorous fermentation based on airlock activity and visible bubbles in the must.
By 1 week CHS had slowed down a lot but the US-05 was still chugging along.

After 3 weeks: US-05 FG 0.994, CHS FG 0.992 (not a clear difference on my hydrometer, this is my best approximation).
US-05 had a faint honey aroma and flavor on tasting, with noticeable alcohol (not jet fuel). The CHS was a muted on the honey and seemed "flatter" to the palate; alcohol was more pronounced. I preferred the US-05 at this point.
The meads were racked into 1 liter plastic bottles with 0.5 oz priming sugar + a small dash of nutrient in each.

After 1 week of conditioning I did a blind tasting. I was able to distinguish which was which based on my pre-conditioning tasting:
US-05: Aroma is light honey and slight hint of alcohol. Honey is notable on the palate too. Nicely carbonated and clear.
CHS: Aroma is slightly yeasty/vegetal, and had this same characteristic on the palate. Otherwise nearly indistinguishable from US-05.

Caveats: US-05 came from a packet I had opened, resealed, and kept in fridge. CHS yeast comes with a pre-blend of nutrients in the packet. I used the same spoon to measure both yeasts without cleaning it between (no visible particles of dry yeast remained, but maybe a few cells of US-05 got into the CHS batch.).
Thank you for sharing your research and findings.

Back