Question on thermometers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidman

Reaction score
My therm stem sticks into my brew pot about 4 inches which is directly in the way of putting in the chiller. Is it possible to cut some length off the stem?

I'm not sure if the stems are hollow or solid. Would cutting jeopardize the temperature sensor..?

The actuall senser is usually out at the far end, so no, don't cut nothin. Can you coil your chiller tighter?

I am assuming you are doing AG and need the thermometer for strike and sparge water.

here's several of suggestion:

Put a 2"-3" nipple on your coupler and add another coupler at the end for the thermometer to screw into, this would make your thermometer stick out a long way from the pot but the probe won't be sticking in to deep.

put a T on the drain valve and put the thermometer in the same outlet as the valve

or remove it before the boil and put a plug in it's place

or go to a separate boil pot without a thermometer

or go to a CFC

Thanks for the input guys.

abracadabra, you're right I am using it for strike and sparge water. I have access to stainless nipples at work so I think I will go with that route. Shouldn't stick out any further than my drain valve anyway.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the hardest one to think of..

Back