Cooling coil for 15gal fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wootz001

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got my A/C glycol chiller setup and running nicely. Been comparing the different options for cooling my fermenter... I did a little experiment by wrapping my 15 gallon conical with 50ft of 1/2 inch DD 3/8 inch ID vinyl tubing -- Which would probably work just fine for me holding ale fermentation temps, but I would like to cold crash, and it was taking 36hrs+ to go from 65F down to 40F. Thinking an internal coil is the way to go (although I am still talking myself into cutting holes in my shiny SS). With a 15 gallon vessel, and 11-12 gallon batch size, what would be the way to go? I am looking at the temp twister on the low-end, which I am guesstimating is about 15 to 20 feet of 3/8 inch OD coil (?). Would this be enough? Could go bigger with 50 feet of coil, but wondering if that is overkill?

Thanks!

I use the temp twister on my 27 Liter fermzilla (with insulated jacket) in conjunction with a Brewbuuilt icemaster max and its pretty powerful. I rarely run the glycol more than 15 degrees below target temperature. Cold crashing to 33 degrees F is also very quick if I set the glycol reservoir down to -2 Celsius.

If your fermenter is insulated and the lines are insulated you should probably be OK, unless you are setting it up in a hot garage in summer or something like that.

My recommendation would be to check with Bobby at Brewhardware.com though. He will know.

Thanks. Good to hear. I’ve been looking at the coils across the various vendors. They all seem to be roughly similar for 5-10 gallon sizes, which is comforting.

Back