Gas One BP40 10 Gallon Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Well folks, I am not sure if this is where my problems are, but I went to check my Gas One 10 gallon kettle thermostat today and found the needle to be at around 120 empty and stored in a shed in San Francisco. I am pretty sure it was not 120 in the shed, as it has been overcast and foggy all day. So, I figured maybe it needed to be reset, so I loosened the small nut on the back of the dial that should allow me to turn the dial and reset the needle. Nope, stripped. Well heck, so I put it in hot water and used a meat thermometer next to it to see what happens, thinking the thermometer will reset. Nope, it just kept turning to the bottom of the dial and was at about 60 degrees when my digital thermometer said it was at about 145. Damn, ok. Well, there is a nut on the stem, so I turned that thinking I could get the ring to turn and reset the dial. Well, I got the ring to turn, but when it did, the darn seal came loose and wrapped around the middle of the needle stem, rendering this thing useless. If I would have known, I would have told her to just buy me a kettle with no valves or anything. That would have been a ton cheaper and I could have bought a cheap digital thermometer to use during the mash. I am not happy, and have sent an email to Gas One to see what they say. If they don't make good, I am going to plug the hole where the temp thermometer goes and use a digital anyway. I am already into this thing way more than I should be, but that is how it goes. Anyway, just giving all a heads up that, while I felt the kettle was cool, and my wife paid more to get something nice, it seems it is not working out that way. So now, I am wondering if the thermometer was off on my last 2 brews and that is why they are messed up? Only time will tell.

Anyway, take it for what it is worth.

RR

I would not trust any thermometer without verifying first that it's trustworthy and accurate (enough) for its purposes.
That means:
It reads 32°F at freezing (melting ice cubes) and 212°F for boiling water (around sea level, or apply elevation correction).

I'm not sure about the use of the nut on the back of your dial. Maybe it's not adjustable? Is there a manual with it?

But I know what you're talking about regarding the nut. Most of my (decades old) dial thermometers can be adjusted by "turning the nut" a tad. That's usually all they needed. I've always thought you're actually holding the nut with a wrench or pliers, and you're turning the dial, and again, only a tad.

I'd definitely contact the place you bought it from or the manufacturer directly.

I would not trust any thermometer without verifying first that it's trustworthy and accurate (enough) for its purposes.
That means:
It reads 32°F at freezing (melting ice cubes) and 212°F for boiling water (around sea level, or apply elevation correction).

I'm not sure about the use of the nut on the back of your dial. Maybe it's not adjustable? Is there a manual with it?

But I know what you're talking about regarding the nut. Most of my (decades old) dial thermometers can be adjusted by "turning the nut" a tad. That's usually all they needed. I've always thought you're actually holding the nut with a wrench or pliers, and you're turning the dial, and again, only a tad.

I'd definitely contact the place you bought it from or the manufacturer directly.
Yeah, I think I have that same kettle. Actually really like it. On my thermometer you just turn the nut slightly and watch the face move to adjust it. I've done it a couple of times now. An inkbird folding probe thermometer is a great investment for how cheap how they are. Even though my kettle thermometer is pretty spot on, it is good to be able to check the mash with that inkbird (which I trust more anyway). A faulty reading at that stage can mess up a brew pretty quick.

Edit: Not sure why I responded to Island lizard instead of OP or the thread in general. I meant I have the same kettle as OP.

Yeah, I think I have that same kettle. Actually really like it. On my thermometer you just turn the nut slightly and watch the face move to adjust it. I've done it a couple of times now. An inkbird folding probe thermometer is a great investment for how cheap how they are. Even though my kettle thermometer is pretty spot on, it is good to be able to check the mash with that inkbird (which I trust more anyway). A faulty reading at that stage can mess up a brew pretty quick.

Edit: Not sure why I responded to Island lizard instead of OP or the thread in general. I meant I have the same kettle as OP.
Yea, the first 3 or 4 brews were good. The temp seemed pretty spot on and things went well. So, I really did not check the thermometer again figuring it was ok. These last two not so good, so I thought I would give it a try. Oh well, live and learn. Amazon has some long stem digital thermometers I am going to look at. I figure if I can find something that will clip to the side of the kettle, that might be a bit better than opening and shutting the lid all the time.

And when I first got it, I adjusted it really slightly, like maybe a degree or two. This time, the adjustment ring was so stuck I could not get it to move. Maybe my fault as I am sure I spilled some wort on it as I was removing the bag. Oh well, again, live and learn.

That means:

I have an email to Gas One to see what they say. I am hoping they will replace it, but who knows. If not, I will plug the hole and use a digital thermometer instead. That way, the stem from the thermometer does not catch the bag I am using and tear it.

I had to adjust it slightly when I got it. I just loosened the set screw on the back, rotated the ring that moved the dial to where I wanted it. I got it pretty much spot on. The first 3 or 4 were good, but these last two didn't go so well, and after many suggestions I thought to check it. Not sure if that is what happened, but it is not working now, so I will find out LOL

Yup, something sounds off with that thermometer. I've never had to adjust them more than a couple degrees. And once done they've always stayed put.
I hope they help you out.

If not, I will plug the hole and use a digital thermometer instead.
I've never used a kettle mounted thermoprobe in my equipment,* but have brewed on some that did. I've hit those probes with the mash paddle at times, reminding me to stay away from that side. ;) Some have a very short probe, which makes it a bit easier to stir around.

I use a $$ Thermapen for its speed and accuracy (such as the mash), as well as a few cheaper ($15-20) digital ones (CDN DTQ450X) that take a little extra time to stabilize. Those Inkbirds are good too, from what I've read in feedbacks.

* I use that spare "thermometer" port for my plate chiller/whirlpool return. Much better and more appropriate use for it. ;)

Back