Question on the SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
I just got done brewing an IPA from a box called Brewers Best. It says the SG is supposed to be about 1.050-1.055, and mine was 1.035, why is there a difference? I followed all the directions to a tee, and this was my fourth batch so I'm over some of the rookie mistakes. I am confused on why the SG is different and if it really matters. One note though i put my wort through a strainer and there was a thick layer of bubbles on top, it was very aereated. The temp. also was about 73 when i took the reading.

I think that you took the s.g. reading from the top, and the wort/water wasn't mixed up very well. The wort you boiled was heavier than the water you added, and so the heavy wort sunk in the carboy. There is no way for an extract batch to miss the s.g., unless you added way more water than called for. If you just topped it off to 5 gallons, you're fine. Don't worry about it. It's probably just a wrong hydrometer reading. Also, if it's 73 degrees, you have to do the temperature correction for you calibration. My hydrometer is calibrated to 60 degrees, so I have to correct my reading by looking at the scale. Really, don't worry about it- it's not going to matter to your beer.

Lorena

Back