Question on Saison, farmhouse ale or similar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
I Just got into homebrew about 2 months ago & it seems that Saison is very popular right now... So I got curious & read the style guide lines. The style sounds very tasty & seems like a fun one to brew at home. I also really liked the idea of brewing a classic style & being able to ferment at a higher temp. I searched for a commercial version to try out; but Unfortunately I live in an area with a very limited beer selection & have only been able to track down Tank 7 farmhouse ale from boulevard. I'm not a big fan of Tank 7, it seems that alcohol dominates the flavor,with hops coming in second. I pick up very little of the other flavors that BCJP suggest should be present. My pallet is still being trained, so maybe its just me. I was wondering if any one could comment on Tank 7 and how it compares to other beers of this style. And also if someone could recommend an Extract kit (preferably from AHS) in the Saison/farmhouse style.

Saisons are extremely varied and have been described as a style without style guidelines. Traditionally they were made with fruits, spices, herbs and vegetables the farmer had lying around, then open-air fermented at whatever temperature range. Far too many variables to really lay down style guidelines for, and every commercial one I've tried has been very different.

I do all grain, but can definitely recommend Wyeast Belgian Saison II liquid yeast.

That makes sense, and I did notice that the bjcp style guide seemed all over the place... with that said, maybe someone could recomend a recipe or kit that I might like in this style... im looking for something that skews more earthy and spicy with hints of fruit maybe. Something with a smooth creamy mouthfeel possibly. I've burned myself out on ipa's and other hop heavy beers. Im hoping to brew something that my BMC drinking friends will like and something that will encourage them to explore beers. Also, the pride of a friends or family member enjoying one of my brews wouldn't hurt. I don't have any real beer drinkers around me and the deer lease crew are just impossible to convert (quantity over quality for these guys). The classic style of saison or farmhouse appeal to me only because of what I read, the higher fermentation temps and the history, so im open to other styles.

Tank 7 is an American craft brew attempt at a saison, and like most American craft breweries they think of it as a specialty beer so it ends up being more alcoholic and hoppy than is traditional. Here is an extract recipe that all of my friends (and myself) love. It's a little high on the alcohol content to be traditional, but you could just cut some of the extract if you'd like.

3.3 lb. Pilsen LME (Brew shop was low on DME at the time...)
3.3 lb. Golden light LME
1 lb. Bavarian wheat DME
1 lb. Candi sugar (table sugar or turbinado/raw cane sugar work fine.)
1/2 lb. Belgian aromatic, 1/2 lb Vienna malt (Steeping grains)
1 oz. Styrian goldings, .25 oz. Strisselspalt @ 60 min.
.3 oz. Styrian, .3 oz Strisselspalt @ 15 min.
.175 Styrian, .35 oz. Strisselspalt @ flameout
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 5 min.

White labs Saison II yeast (There are lots of yeast choices.)

Other than the first addition the hop amounts are just close, I had an ounce of strisselspalt and 1.5 oz. Styrian goldings. Fermentation started around room temperature, then I bumped it up into the 80's. After about 2 weeks I pitched the yeast/dregs from a bottle of Saison Dupont, which I -highly- recommend you seek out in your area. Google it and see what the bottle looks like. This recipe gives a good amount of fruit and spice/peppery flavors without the addition of any of those things.

Hope this helps!

If you want something your BMC friends will like try cream of three crops or northern brewers speckled heifer.

I enjoyed Tank 7 quite a bit, but honestly if you want a great representative of style get a bottle of Saison DuPont. I've seen some say they think it's overrated, but to be honest I think it is about as classic an example of the style as you're going to find.

Great info here guys. I ws thinking about doing midwest liberty cream ale instead. But I've also looked at NB's limited farmhouse ale. Im shooting for something around 6%. I like the recipe bphad and will see if I can get those hops. Finding the dupont or any thing else of the saison style will be impossible locally. I live in the bible belt in a town under 50k pop. We have about 5 liquor stores that carry some beer, all stocked by one budwieser distributor (gotta love the big 3 distrubution system).

Saison as BJCP defines is an American invention. True saisons and farmhouse ales are as varried as individual human beings.

I suggest checking out the book farmhouse ales by Philip Markowski. You'll really get a feel for them, their complexity, their uniqueness, and their characters after reading it.

Great info here guys. I ws thinking about doing midwest liberty cream ale instead. But I've also looked at NB's limited farmhouse ale. Im shooting for something around 6%. I like the recipe bphad and will see if I can get those hops. Finding the dupont or any thing else of the saison style will be impossible locally. I live in the bible belt in a town under 50k pop. We have about 5 liquor stores that carry some beer, all stocked by one budwieser distributor (gotta love the big 3 distrubution system).

Sounds like you sir need to open up a brewpub! 50K is a perfect sized place to inundate with your tasty offerings! ;) I know your pain being in MS where thankfully effective July 1 this year beer up to 10% abv will be available... finally (and that's not even really high enough). You don't get more bible belt than Kosciusko MS where I live in a moist county (no wine or liquor sales, just beer) where the closest thing to decent beer I get locally is SNPA & SA Octoberfest/Boston Lager. That's it, not even a 6er of any other SA offerings... nada!

Back