Question on original gravity.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricM83

Reaction score
I made a Honey Brown Ale yesterday. The O. G. was supposed to be 1.052 and when I got done it was 1.060. I was wondering why that was when I looked and the recipe said to use 5.25 gallons of water and I only used 5. Is this a big deal? What will it do to the finished beer? This is only my 2nd batch, so I don't know.

It'll be slightly higher in alcohol and will have a slightly more robust flavor, but that's about it. Probably not even worth worrying about.

You may want to do some more hunting around the site for straightforward questions like this. The short answer is that using less water made your beer heavier on the whole, since the sugars make up a larger percentage of the whole. It will give you a beer that is higher in alcohol, with a heavier mouthfeel if your FG isn't as low as you had planned. The beer will be fine. Not a huge deal unless you're trying to brew to a specific style or have a very specific idea of what you want your final beer to be like.

Gravity is the density of the liquid you are measuring. So if you added less water, your gravity will be higher. More water and a lesser gravity.

Back