Question on my first brett beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxstar21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just attempted my first brett beer and have a few questions for you guys. I did More Beer's Sour Blonde recipe which is:

8# Rahr 2-Row
3# Belgian pilsner
12 oz Crystal 15L
12 oz white wheat
1#Demerara sugar

I decided with WLP 670 for the primary yeast, it is one my favorites and I did a 1200 mL starter. This batch started showing fermentation activity in about 2 hours!

I let it go for 9 days and drained the trub. (Fermented in my Fast Ferment which is now a dedicated brett vessel).

On day 9 I added 6 cans of Oregon red tart cherries and 1 vial of WLP 645 brett c.

My question is if I should add another vial or just let it ride as is for 6 months to a year?

Thanks in advance! So far this batch smells pretty good through the air lock. :ban:

My question is if I should add another vial or just let it ride as is for 6 months to a year?
let it ride, you're good to go. sounds like a tasty beer.

quick thoughts:

- brett C is a pretty subtle secondary yeast. i'm not sure you're going to get a whole lot from it, given how the brett (B?) in the 670 can take over. certainly nothing wrong with adding the C and who knows maybe you'll get a nice fruity aroma from it, but it'll have to fight its way past the 670's powerful funk.

- when it comes to fruit, i prefer to add them at the end of secondary. so if you're going to age a beer for 6 months, add the fruit in month 4 so the fruit spends 2 months in the beer instead of all 6. helps keep the fruit flavors fresh and clear, IMO.

let us know how it turns out! how long are you planning on aging it?

Yeah, I was looking for a little tamer brett, so I wanted to try the brett C.

I usually add fruit the way you do, but with this one I wasn't sure if adding it late and damaging the pellicle would be bad if it grew a pellicle. So, with these type of beers it's okay to add fruit later and potentially break up the pellicle? I may add some cherry juice at the tail end to give it a little flavor. I do agree I was a little early with the fruit.

I wasn't sure how long to age. I am thinking I will wait at minimum 3 months before sampling and then go from there. This beer smells amazing so far. I have high hopes with it!

let it ride, you're good to go. sounds like a tasty beer.

quick thoughts:

- brett C is a pretty subtle secondary yeast. i'm not sure you're going to get a whole lot from it, given how the brett (B?) in the 670 can take over. certainly nothing wrong with adding the C and who knows maybe you'll get a nice fruity aroma from it, but it'll have to fight its way past the 670's powerful funk.

- when it comes to fruit, i prefer to add them at the end of secondary. so if you're going to age a beer for 6 months, add the fruit in month 4 so the fruit spends 2 months in the beer instead of all 6. helps keep the fruit flavors fresh and clear, IMO.

let us know how it turns out! how long are you planning on aging it?

Thanks for the response. I think I will save my vial other vial of brett C and make a big several stage starter for an IPA.

Now I love WLP 670 and use it a lot. I didn't realize it would over power the Brett c so much. Do you think I should pitch another strain of Brett down the road or just let those 2 fight it out for awhile. LHBS doesn't stock Brett so it would probably be a week or two before I could get it. Just curious. Leaning towards just letting it go as is and pulling a sample in September or October.

I think I will save my vial other vial of brett C and make a big several stage starter for an IPA.
again, start small... there are less than 3 billion cells in those WL vials.

Now I love WLP 670 and use it a lot. I didn't realize it would over power the Brett c so much.
i've only used brett C once, but it was quite subtle. nothing like the zoo of flavors that most people associate with brett, i.e. classic brett B.

Do you think I should pitch another strain of Brett down the road or just let those 2 fight it out for awhile. LHBS doesn't stock Brett so it would probably be a week or two before I could get it. Just curious. Leaning towards just letting it go as is and pulling a sample in September or October.
let 'er ride. you've got plenty of brett in there.

Back