Question on Lager!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I'm currently fermenting 2.5 Gal. of Oktoberfest Style Lager....My concern as I watch the sediment build up in my Mr. Beer keg it looks to be clinging to the sides a little bit, with the sediment level reaching right at the bottom of the bottling spout. I'm using Saflager S-23 & it's been working about 8 days now. Does any one have ideas on how I can keep the yeast sediment from comming out of the spout?

I'd thought about running the beer into one of our food grade buckets from work, cleaning the Mr. Beer keg, then pouring the beer back in it to settle before i bottle.

Any advice is appreciated!

I don't know anything about Mr. Beer. If you are bottle carbing there is going to be sediment anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

DO NOT POUR YOUR BEER. Unless you want it to get oxidized. O2 is your friend in the very first stages of fermentation and your enemy at every point after that. I flood my carboys with CO2 at racking now and (when I remember) even purge my racking cane (yeah that's getting a bit neurotic but Russian River recommended it in an article I read so why not).

If you tilt the keg, where the spit is higher than the back of it, you should get most of the sediment at the back of the keg.

Back