Question on Bulk Aging of Big Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a 1.095 OG Imperial Stout and a 1.100 OG barley wine that are both currently bulk aging in secondary. I have two months on the stout and four months on the BW. I just tasted both, and they tasted REALLY good.....

My plan was to give them each 9 months before bottling, but I am concerned that I might miss the "peak flavor" so to speak by aging these beers to long.

What would you guys do, keep on aging and mellowing or just bottle it up....?

What would you like to get out of these beers? Why stick to the 9 month plan if they are good now?

"Peak" is such a subjective thing, the most exciting thing I would think is trying these beers over time and seeing how they change. Even past "peak" (how ever you define it) these beers will continue to change. I say bottle and enjoy.

What would you like to get out of these beers? Why stick to the 9 month plan if they are good now?

I just want them to blend and mellow out.......they are both approaching %10-11 ABV and the stout especially has a very complext grain bill.......but I thought that the taste of both was superb. The stout was especially impressive, 1.095 down to 1.017......thank you pacman!

I just want them to blend and mellow out.......they are both approaching %10-11 ABV and the stout especially has a very complext grain bill.......but I thought that the taste of both was superb. The stout was especially impressive, 1.095 down to 1.017......thank you pacman!

What is your time table for drinking them? Those high-gravity beer would do well to be cellared and you could probably enjoy them for the next 10-20 years if you wanted.

They'll still age in the bottle, should you bottle them.

I think I can categorically state that your barleywine and imperial stout will be nowhere near their peak at 9 months. That said, if you're not adding wood/wine/spirits to the secondary, you can probably bottle and let the flavors come together in the bottle.

+1 to bottling them. I bottle my barleywines and other high grav beers so that I can try one every couple of months. They're often delicious the first or second time I try one, but so far they just keep getting better. The one exception is IIPA's where the hops can diminish over time. Your imperial stout and barleywine will just keep improving for a long long time.

I bottled my big beers after 6 months of bulk aging. My malty beers could probably go longer if I wanted but I notice my imperial stouts starting to lose a lot roastiness after 10-12 months and are more chocolate forward. Maybe its a recipe thing but my imperial stout is probably the best beer I've ever made when its hitting its peak.

Back