Question on Backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhardy3

Reaction score
So if I was to take my cider and add some concentrate would I be able to bottle it and keep it in the fridge without it exploding? Any help on this would be appreciated thank you in advance.

Tick tick tick tick.....That's a time bomb which is you'll be dealing with if you back sweeten without killing off the yeast.

Okay so how do I kill off the yeast if I want to Backsweeten. I thought I'd be able to put it in the fridge and drink it right out of the fridge.

I've heard that can be dangerous because the bottles blow under pressure.

The cold temps in your refrigerator will slow the process down, but it will start to ferment again if you add a source of fermentable sugar, in this case, concentrate.

You cannot really kill the yeast, (without adding so much meta that it would be rendered undrinkable) however, you should always stabilize with K-meta and Sorbate before back sweetening.

Sorbate stops the yeast from multiplying, therefore no new fermentations should occur.
K-meta stuns the yeast.

I hope that this helps.

Back