Question for Wisco area drinkers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just tried an Oso Brewery Hopdinger. Great aroma and initial flavor but I can't get over the vanilla-ish (maybe Amarillo) after taste. It completely ruins the beer for me and I'd like to know what causes this to avoid this type of flavor in any of my future brews. Any local guys out there try this beer? Am I crazy?

Well not a big fan of their beer ( most styles other breweries do better) they are my LHBS <3

I have had it and believe I was not really all that impressed. Honestly, I would not worry to much about an off flavor in a commercial beer. If/when you do get that flavor, then I would worry. I do understand that you are trying to be proactive and not reactive but sometimes it is easier to roll with the punch than it is to try to anticipate it.

On a side note, I like the Oso's Night Train porter/stout is is really tastey. Probabbly their best beer and if you ask they will mix up a batch of the malt you need and sell it to you so you can brew your own! Not to many places like that around.

:off:
I didn't realize Oso sold homebrew supplies. Not that I would make a special trip up to Plover for brewing supplies. But, I just find it interesting to find breweries that also sell homebrewing stuff.

:off:
I didn't realize Oso sold homebrew supplies. Not that I would make a special trip up to Plover for brewing supplies. But, I just find it interesting to find breweries that also sell homebrewing stuff.

Oso's is a strange animal, they are a brewery/HBS and located in a strip mall.

I will never step foot in Point Brew supply again, nor will I buy anything from Oso. Last time I was in the supply shop for ingredients, they charged me sales tax. Gave me some bull**** line about the law being changed and they could no longer count the ingredients as food. Well the law wasn't changed, so they are gouging for extra cash.

I will never step foot in Point Brew supply again, nor will I buy anything from Oso. Last time I was in the supply shop for ingredients, they charged me sales tax. Gave me some bull**** line about the law being changed and they could no longer count the ingredients as food. Well the law wasn't changed, so they are gouging for extra cash.

Brew and Grow does the same thing. I just figure the tax into the cost when I'm pricing out my batches. If the tax puts them over on price, they don't get my business.

Oso's is a strange animal, they are a brewery/HBS and located in a strip mall.

Speaking of oddly located breweries, ever been to Ale Asylum? They're in a building attached to a discount furniture warehouse.

But, when you mentioned Oso sold HB supplies, it got me thinking that the only other brewery I'd heard of doing this was Bell's. I'm sure they're not the only ones, but you don't hear about it that often.

I think Governer Kitzhaber will be enjoying his delicious Wisconsin beers sent from Scott Walker after Monday's game.

Glad to see my taste buds are maturing and that some of you agree with me. I kinda dig the idea of a brewery/supply store, too bad you guys haven't been to pleased with their customer service. On a second note, I tried a Deschutes Brewery Inversion IPA a Tallgrass Brewing Company Oasis Ale and a Grand Teton Brewery Sweet Grass APA. The APA was surprisingly close to Oscars Dales Pale Ale (with a little more bite to the finish) which has been one of my favorites lately. Pretty good brew. The IPA was very different, it had the most banana-like aroma/flavor I've ever had in a beer. The Oasis was a great mix of hoppy and malty. Something I haven't been too into in the past but it was a great change of pace. What do you guys think? And what hop or process gave that IPA such a banana taste? I'd like to incorporate it into my next brew.

Speaking of oddly located breweries, ever been to Ale Asylum? They're in a building attached to a discount furniture warehouse.

AA is the closest micro to my house, but I haven't been there yet. One of my employees said the beer was decent, but nothing earth-shattering.

AA is the closest micro to my house, but I haven't been there yet. One of my employees said the beer was decent, but nothing earth-shattering.

They have a solid offering. They try to be "extreme" with their beers. That's sort of their theme. But, I would agree, I wouldn't say that they have extraordinary beers, just solid.

By the way, there is a new place in Columbus that just opened called Hydro Street (I think). Never been there, but I heard it was opened by a guy who was in one of the local homebrew clubs around Sun Prairie.

Hopalicious is pretty tasty. Give it a whirl. Great aroma!

I actually watched them make that one day. At least I think it was Hopalicious. They actual run the beer through a device kind of like a Randall when as they bottle it. It was kind of interesting to watch.

One thing about O'so is the guy makes Night Train on Nitrogen which is amazing. The brewer is very very friendly and one of us guys.

Hopalicious is great when fresh, as Lake Louie Arena Premium used to be. I think going into distribution really hurt both these beers (IMHO). O'so - so-so - I notice the aftertaste, too.

They are my LHBS. Where a supply store that started a brewery. I have enjoyed their beers, and have watched them grow tremendously. I will admit I have had some off batches. Did not know about the tax thing, but compared to alot of LHBS rants on here, I feel we are lucky. Prices are pretty good as is selection and freshness. Everybody likes different beer.

Back