Question for Milwaukee Brewers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepersquatch

Reaction score
Do you use the city tap water, and if you do, do you use it only for some beers or all beer types? Thanks for your help :rockin:

I used it in a few, but city water does have a taste of something I can't put my finger on. I have 2 secondaries right now that I brewed with bottled water, so we'll see how it turns out.

The beer I brewed with city water tasted ok, but I think it'll be better with the bottled stuff.

I've used city water for a few batches(IPAs). Something just doesn't taste right. It's got that chemical-y/plasticy treated taste. I much prefer to walk across the street to walgreens and grab some bottled water. Tastes far better.

My brother in law always used tap water on the eastside and in bayview. I don't recall any off flavors.

I suppose things could have changed. It has been a couple years. Does pick n save have those fill your own water machines, still? They usually sell plastic carboys. You could buy one of those and just fill it up, that way you wouldn't have to deal with buying a bunch of bottles. Its usually pretty cheap

Idk if pick n save has those yet... I just use my glass carboy, i dont wanna use those cheap bottles when i have a couple of glass carboys available. I prefer to brew at my parents house which is an hour west of milwaukee, using their amazing well-water.

OK, I just got home from a week in MKE. I would definitely use bottled water if I was brewing there. Ugh... Cudahy isn't bad though.

Just go with the lake water of you don't like the tap water. The lake will give you beer a certain "otherness" taste to it.

It always smells like dead fish to me. right when I get to bradford beach from the south.

Pick n save does have the fill your own bottle stations.

thanks all I used the tap after letting it run for likr 10 min so I dont know ill see what happens and report back :cross:

Actually I'm trying a little experiment myself, my very first batch I used tap water and my second batch I used bottled spring water. I will see if I can tell a difference in a week or so. Most people consider any kind of city water as "nasty" but surprisingly Milwaukee is always in the top 3 in the country for quality of drinking water out of the major cities in the US. I do agree there are things about their water that makes me question the quality.

:pWhen I saw the name of this thread, I thought it was a question to the Brewer's baseball team asking them why they are so terrible this year.:p

From your shameless Twins fan across the river. (BTW I grew up a Brewer's fan and still root for them once in awhile, but man are they bad this year)

We get our water from Oak Creek Water Utility. I seem to remember reading they were rated highly. I have no problems with the taste of the tap water. I am too new, and have not even finished my first batch to make any comment on brewing with it. I did find a link to their water quality report: Oak Creek Water Report

:pWhen I saw the name of this thread, I thought it was a question to the Brewer's baseball team asking them why they are so terrible this year.:p

From your shameless Twins fan across the river. (BTW I grew up a Brewer's fan and still root for them once in awhile, but man are they bad this year)

Alright they aren't doing great but they are not THAT bad! Sorry for the off topic response!

Back