Question - Carbing with Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slider46

Reaction score
I'm going to be using Grolsch bottles to carb my beer (from a Mr. Beer kit).

The Grolsch pack says 15.2 oz. The carbing instructions state 1 teaspoon sugar for a 16oz bottle.

Is it safe to assume that if 16oz needs 1 tsp sure, a 15.2oz needs 95% of a tsp? (Whatever that is.. :confused:)

Is the 15.2oz measurement the actual amount of liquid held with headroom to spare?

Ratios man! Remember your HS Algerbra.

1 over 16 equals X over 15.2. Cross multiply to get 16x = 15.2. Divide by 16 to isolate the X and result in X = .95. So, yes. 95% of a tsp for 15.2oz.

Your best bet, for accuracy, is to measure by weight rather than volume. Do you have a gram scale?

Do you have a gram scale?

Negative. Might have to stop by wally world later tonight.

Or could I just measure out 16oz on each bottle and mark each bottle with a fill line? I wonder if that would give me enough headroom. That way I could just use 1 tsp...

Hmm..

A nickle weighs 4.5 grams and, 1 tsp of table sugar weighs 4.2 grams. A basic balance scale could be made to do this.

Are you using table sugar or corn sugar?

Not on this scale. The difference is on the dy weight. One is fluffier thus more volume by weight. So, that makes a difference here.

It is a difference of 5%, so instead of 4 carbs of beer, it will be 4.2 carbs. Don't fret the little things. Just make it 1 tsp and call it good. On that note... does nobody boil their priming sugar?

I always batch carbed all of my MrBeer batches with corn sugar and never had a problem with gasketed, capped or PET bottles FWIW

Not on this scale. The difference is on the dy weight. One is fluffier thus more volume by weight. So, that makes a difference here.

Ahh ok.

It is a difference of 5%, so instead of 4 carbs of beer, it will be 4.2 carbs. Don't fret the little things. Just make it 1 tsp and call it good. On that note... does nobody boil their priming sugar?

I think i'll measure out 16oz and mark the bottles. I don't wanna over prime them and have exploding bottles.

I always batch carbed all of my MrBeer batches with corn sugar and never had a problem with gasketed, capped or PET bottles FWIW

Good to know :)

I think i'll measure out 16oz and mark the bottles. I don't wanna over prime them and have exploding bottles.
QUOTE]

Does the Mr. beer kit come with a bottling wand to fill bottles? Usually when you use a wand you put it in, fill it to the top of the bottle and when you remove the wand you have exactly the right headspace.

Marking the bottles seems overly complicated and probably won't work as you intend.

Does the Mr. beer kit come with a bottling wand to fill bottles? Usually when you use a wand you put it in, fill it to the top of the bottle and when you remove the wand you have exactly the right headspace.

Marking the bottles seems overly complicated and probably won't work as you intend.

Wand does not come with the kit. I have to look into one.

Also, just ordered (3) packs of Nottingham yeast as I hear that sometimes the Mr. Beer yeast can sometimes be "DOA". Also ordered a hydrometer and test vessel.

Another question regarding bottling.

I keep reading that making a priming solution with sugar + boiling water is preferred over simply putting the sugar in the bottles and carefully adding the beer.

Won't this dilute the beer? Adding extra water just seems like it would make the beer taste, well, watered down.. :confused:

If you have a spare, clean and sanitized food grade bucket just boil enough priming sugar for the entire batch then in a small amount of water, add this to the bucket, then "quietly siphon" the whole batch to the bucket. Bottle from the bucket immediately and cap. I bottled beer in Grolsch bottles for nearly 20 years and this is basically what I did. I never had a flat beer, spoiled beer, over carbed beer or exploding bottle of beer. I used extra light dry malt instead of sugar and glass carboys instead of buckets but it makes no difference.
Good luck,
Bill

Latest posts

Back