Question about using Nitrogen blend for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruffins

Reaction score
I made a 5g keg of dry Irish stout 6 months ago, and it’s been quietly waiting in my aging cooler for me not to be a cheap ass and buy a Nitrogen setup…which I’ve now done. My question is this: the keg of stout that was forced carbed with CO2. What do I need to do (if I can) to convert this keg to the 75/25 blend to get the Nitrogen experience from my creamer faucet that would be a typical Nitrogen experience? Do I need to de-carbonate the stout and re-Nitrogen-ate it? Can I just put it on Nitrogen and wait? What length of tubing and what regulator poundage seem to work for those who use this. Thank you in advance for help with this!

As for length of tubing, etc, I can't really speak to it - but I can tell you that you're actually in good shape: you can't actually carbonate with Nitrogen blend. You need to carbonate first with CO2, as you've already done, then simply push the beer with the the Nitrogen blend through your stout faucet. Folks more knowledgeable than I can step up and tell you things like pressures and line lengths and such to use with the Nitrogen blend - but you're on the right track so far.

Its my understanding that the creamer faucet allows you acheive close to the nitrogen effect without actually using nitrogen. So you would use CO2 like normal, im not familar with that and do not own one.
However, I have a Stout faucet on my kegerator. It uses the same beverage line as my other taps, and same length(5 feet) with out any problems. The things you have to do different include: Carbonate with Co2 to 1.0 to <1.5 volumes of Co2. Then dispense with a "beer gas" which is a mixture of N2/Co2 the ratio can vary with suppliers but is usally around 75%N2/25%Co2. You will most likely have to obtain beer gas from somewhere like National Welders as most homebrew shops dont carry it, but couldnt hurt to ask. You will also need a N2 regulator because the beer gas comes in a N2 cylinder that has a fitting to only accept N2 regulators. You will then need to dispense the beer at a higher pressure between 20-30psi depending on your preferance.

Back