Question about transferring to keg to early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
I brewed up what was suppose to be a Smoked Rye Ale. It fermented out within 1 week but I got stupid and didn't let the yeast settle and kegged it.

I force carbed it at 25 PSI for three days and then pulled of a glass to taste it. The entire first glass looked like trub mixed with something kind of resembling beer. So I turned down my keezer to 36F in hopes of dropping some of the yeast out.

Again, I pulled another small glass and it was clearing up somewhat but still some yeast floating. Still a yeasty taste to my beer as well.

My question: Is there a way I can transfer this out of my current keg and into another keg without oxidizing it? I am imagining that there is quite the pile of yeast at the bottom of this keg and would like to get it off that so I might be able to save this. Lesson learned I guess :drunk:

Normally you will get some settled gunk at the bottom. I often lose the first pint or two to junk in there, but after that it should be better. If it is still cloudy you can use gelatin, just google search on here for using it. That will definitely clear it up, but again you will lose several pints to it.

If you really want to transfer to a different keg, make a jumper using beer line. Put a liquid out post on both ends. Pressurize the empty keg the same level as the full one, then connect both kegs with the jumper on the liquid out posts. Pull the pressure release a bit on the empty keg, beer will flow. Keep doing that until the old keg kicks empty. But I'm not sure you need to.

Back