Question about Trade Value of Rare Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for some advice or even a "poll" of sort... any opinions would be appreciated and may come in use in the near future. I eluded to this in a post about two years ago but did not get much information so I am trying again.

So about three years ago I won a 1st place raffle at a beer festival and won what was described as an extremely rare beer. I won an unopened bottle of Samichlaus, brewed in 1994. (19 years aged at the time and now about 22 years aged).

Here is what I learned about the beer:

I did some research after winning this item and learned that Samichlaus is considered one of the rarest beers in existence, as it is only brewed in a limited batch once a year on Xmas evein Switzerland. I also learned that because of the style and brewing process, it is one of the few beers that can be aged indefinitely and is considered better with age similar to a fine wine. Finally, and maybe most interesting, I learned that the original Swiss brewery burned down in 1997 and that the "traditional" brewing process went with it. As a result, any bottle brewed before 1997 is considered existentially rarer. I invite anyone to do your own research as this is only what I learned online, so please do not jump on me if you disagree with any of this information.

Here is my question:

I am not a big fan of the dark style that this beer represents and I am more about drinking beer than collecting it. However, I understand the value of this beer and am looking to possibly make a fair trade but I have no idea what it's worth. I am looking for any knowledgeable opinions on the value that such a beer would represent. Either a dollar value (trade dollar value, I AM NOT selling the beer for money) or type of beers that could be traded.

I would also use this thread as a forum to take in offers if anyone is interested in this beer, though I may open a separate thread at a later time based on what it's worth. For the record, I am a big IPA fan and love some of the harder to get IPA's and Doubles. Cheers!

1994 Samichlaus would definitely be rare, but unfortunately does not have a very high trade value. A couple strikes against it.

1. You are not original owner and cannot speak to storage conditions for the 1st 19 years. With 22 year old beers, storage is everything.
2. Very little hype for this beer so no super high trade value.

Can buy a 1997 online right now for $30 and they are only asking $75 for a 1986. I will pm you the link to these for your research purposes.

You should invite a couple buddies over crack it open and hope for the best.

Thanks Zaz... good points. For that value I will definitely savor it myself. I had a couple thoughts of how to best enjoy it:

1. Try to get my hands on a variation of years (1, 5, 10, 15, etc..) and do a flight tasting with a few others

2. Continue aging the beer (which I am keeping in a cool dark place) for the next 20 years until my 1 year old is 21. Then I could enjoy a nice 41 year old Samichlaus with him. What a cool gift that would be! Although I fully acknowledge the potential of a major letdown if there are any issues with the quality by that time, haha

Thanks for the links!

Back