Question about Oak Spirals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivesix

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been working on a recipe that is like the famous Founder's Canadian Breakfast stout. I think I have the grain bill set for the Imperial stout base, but I am working on the aging process.

I was thinking about using Oak Spirals rather than buying a barrel. Can I soak the spirals in maple syrup and bourbon to get the flavor imparted in the beer?

Definitely-I just recently did this for a similar Breakfast Stout.

I used 1-1/2 Medium+ Toast spirals (I broke one in half) and soaked them in Graduated cylinders filled with Knob Creek Maple Bourbon. I added the spirals for the last 6 weeks of secondary fermentation. I also added 3 OZs of the Bourbon that had the spirals soaking in it to the Secondary as well.

Spirals.jpg

Definitely-I just recently did this for a similar Breakfast Stout.

I used 1-1/2 Medium+ Toast spirals (I broke one in half) and soaked them in Graduated cylinders filled with Knob Creek Maple Bourbon. I added the spirals for the last 6 weeks of secondary fermentation. I also added 3 OZs of the Bourbon that had the spirals soaking in it to the Secondary as well.

That's awesome... How did the Stout turn out? How much maple came thru?

This brew still has a few weeks left.

I previously did the same method with Jim Beam Bourbon. I used 2 whole spirals. The beer was a bit too oakey-this is why I reduced the latter to 1-1/2. I also used all the bourbon (I believe about 6 OZs). The Bourbon flavor was a bit much so I reduced the amount by half the second time. The longer you leave the brew in secondary, the more the alcohol from the Bourbon will mellow and blend with the beer.

The manufacturer of the spirals states to leave the spirals in the beer no longer than 6 weeks. I am going a bit over this with the one I am currently aging.

Sounds very tasty! In my experience the spirals have a lot of surface area compared to chips/cubes I've over Oaked a few beers. I would recommend tasting ever 4-5 days and then keg it when you get the flavor you want. Last time I used a spiral I had the beer sit on it for 6 days and it already had a ton of oak to it.

Back