How many oak spirals in 6gal of imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Sorry to post ANOTHER oak thread, but this has been really tough to decide, and the internet is all over the place on it.

I have American medium-dark toast spirals (8 inches long x 1 inch diameter, 48 grams). I'll have a 9-10 percent imperial stout to oak. I'll soak the oak in bourbon for 1-2 weeks and then add it all to the beer including the bourbon for 2 weeks. One spiral gives almost exactly 2g/liter, but I've seen some people using two on big roasty beers.

Just wondering what you have all done with spirals in big stouts. I could add 1, 1.5, or 2 spirals. I'm expecting 2 weeks (plus the time in bourbon) to be sufficient for the spirals but mostly I don't want to wait an extra month to drink the beer haha.

Thanks!

It’s a matter of personal taste. I don’t want the oak character to be too forward so I soak the wood (I’ve used chips, cubes and spirals) in whatever spirit (whiskey, rum, port, etc) for a few days then chuck the booze.

Put the wood the the beer and give it a taste every few days. This gets rid of the harsh tannins and gives a nice oak character that doesn’t overtake the subtle, complex flavors of all those roasted malts.

Back