Question about drilling a fridge for a tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a couple of new beer 7/8" shank faucet asesmblies for christmas and I'm pretty excited.. However my wife bought me a 1" hole saw to drill the hole in the fridge. I am wondering if it is ok to drill a 1" hole for the 7/8" shank? Will it be to wobbly? Or should I break down and buy a 7/8" drill bit? I am not much of a handyman, obviously...

Thanks!:fro:

Cant you exchange the bit she bought you for the right size? I know nothing about these so maybe it is right after all but either way you shouldnt have to fork out anymore cash.

I also did mine with a 1" bit. They fit real snug and wouldnt have fit with a 7/8" bit. I dont know what size my shanks were...I thought they were standard.

I use a 1" hole cutter for all of mine. 1" will give you that little bit of play you'll want to easily slide the shank through the hole without having to force it. The flange and nut are both larger than the 1" hole, so once you tighten it down, the hole will be covered and the tap will not move. Trust us on this one, it's a lot easier than you think.

Back