question about BIAB kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cateck

Reaction score
I have only brewed with extract would like to try all-grain but don't have all the equipement right now. BIAB looks as it would give me a option to step up my game. I was looking into kits from Northern Brewer and they all seem to be 3 gallon kits. Is there a reason for this or can you brew a 5 gallon batch? What is everyones opinion on the kits?

Using BIAB you can brew any all grain recipe (i.e., 5-gallon), NB is just positioning the BIAB at 3-gallons to avoid cannibalizing their all grain equipment sales (e.g., three tier systems, etc.).

So order any 5-gallon all grain recipe and you can BIAB -assuming you have a big enough bag (see Whistelbrewer for bags).

The advantage of the 3 gallon kit is that most extract brewers can use their normal kettle and brew on their stovetop. (Whereas a 5 gallon a BIAB kit needs a much larger kettle than a 5 gallon extract kit due to the volume of grains.)

In other words, 3 gallon batches mean no need for new equipment (aside from a cheap bag) to try BIAB.

I highly recommend trying a 3 gallon kit and seeing if you like the process. If you do and you want bigger batches down the road, you can always buy a bigger kettle and bag then. If you don't, at least you didn't invest big bucks in new gear.

By the way, I got my start in BIAB doing two-gallon batches and fermenting in a Mr Beer LBK. Now, I do 5 gallon batches and am considering jumping to 10 gallon batches.

It seems like they are making the assumption that in order to brew BIAB you have to do it as "full-boil" and that you are using a five gallon kettle/pot. I have brewed five gallon recipes as "partial boils" in a five gallon kettle; you just have to be willing to top up the batch with water before fermenting. If not, three gallons would be about the limit.

Kits are fine and they can be found in just about all sizes. I recommend looking through the recipes on the forum and get your grain bill for the size you want remember that adjustments may have to be made for your brewing equipment size. Cheers :mug:

It seems like they are making the assumption that in order to brew BIAB you have to do it as "full-boil" and that you are using a five gallon kettle/pot. I have brewed five gallon recipes as "partial boils" in a five gallon kettle; you just have to be willing to top up the batch with water before fermenting. If not, three gallons would be about the limit.

This is certainly an option. Partial boil does change efficiency and hop utilization, but a knowledgable all-grain brewer can account for that easily enough. On my rig, I have to do exactly this on high-gravity beers due to limited kettle space.

On the other hand, since the OP seems new to all grain, a three-gallon kit would simplify things at least for his first attempt.

The NB 3 gallon BIAb kits are the 5 gallon kits scaled down.

I speak from personal experience.

Prior posters have hit the nail on the head. NB don't want to undercut their main thrust of sales. HLT's MLT's 5 gallon kits etc.

If you decide to go BIAB, the all-grain brewing world is your oyster. There are no restrictions or limitations in beers or methods that I have yet encountered other than the inability to carry out a traditional fly-sparge.

There are benefits to a multi-vessel approach that are not seen with a single vessel setup of course. These, very often are batch-size dependent and unique to the individual brewer's wants, needs and limitations.

The 3gallon BIAB kits from NB are almost an afterthought.

Their BIAB bags are good. I bought two many moons ago. Use both doubled up in every brew since. Hoping they will break soon so I can upgrade to a @wilserbrewer bag

Forget kits. Use your extract equipment and brew 2 gallon batches. All you need to buy is a paint strainer bag and a couple of 2 gallon buckets from H. D. Check out my video. With proper measuring you can get 3 six packs per brew and have a great variety to drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
The batch size limit is practically based on your kettle size. Yes, you can work around it with dunk sparging, partial boils, etc but the idea behind BIAB (in kit form specifically) is to make it as approachable as possible for first timers. To that end, it makes sense to make it a full volume, no sparge brew. The smaller 3 gallon batch size will fit a larger customer base, some of which only have a 5 gallon pot, most of which don't have any kind of wort chiller.

You'll find a lot more variety in kit recipes if you stick to 5gal size. Just cut it in half and you've got yourself two 2.5 gal batches. Use the same kettle, just get a bag from wilserbrewer. Plus you can get 3 gal fermenters cheap, either glass or plastic. ($20 for plastic iirc)

that way you can order kits from any home brew supply, not just northern or Midwest. WAY more selection and variety.

Plus it lets you be more creative. Stout kit- half normal, half milk stout, coffee, etc. try their ipa kit, then use your own new favorite hop in the other half. Take a wheat beer and do half Hefeweizen, and half sour Berliner style.

You'll want your grains unmilled, so you should get a cheap mill to use. if they are shipped in separate bags for each grain, just use half. If not, then make sure you thoroughly mix up the grains so that your proportions are the same for each half. If you don't want to get a mill, then just make sure you mix them well before splitting, and either use the second half soon or keep in sealed tight.

Thanks for the advice. I currently have a 8.5 gallon kettle, a propane burner and an immersion chiller setup and do full-boils, what is the largest BIAB i could do with my current set-up?

Holy crap, that's a lot of kettle. I assumed you just had a 5gal or something. In that case I'd say you could do full 5gal batches. But not full volume. I'd guess you could mash with five gallons of water in that sucker and be ok. So maybe if you have another big pot that would hold 2-3 gallons, you could heat that one to a near boil and once you remove and drain your grains you could top off the kettle with near boiling water to get up to your pre boil volume.

Or you could just boil the wort left in kettle, and then top it up with a gallon or two of water to make up for boil off and loss to grains. A gal of distilled costs a buck at the store, and if you put it in fridge it'll help cool your wort when you add it post boil. Most recipes call for 5.5 gals in the kettle post boil, so just top off to that level and you're good to go.

Thanks for the advice. I currently have a 8.5 gallon kettle, a propane burner and an immersion chiller setup and do full-boils, what is the largest BIAB i could do with my current set-up?

You should be able to a 5 gallon batch without an issue.

A high gravity beer may need a sparge.

Back