Question about adding lacto to a saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
I'm brewing the saison below with White Labs WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend. Looking to make something pretty funky. I'm also brewing a "standard" saison the same day so I want something quite different. Should I just stick with the WLP670 by itself or should I add a vial of WLP677 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii I currently have in my fridge?

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
10.9 lb Pilsner (DE) Any Mash 38 1 °L
2.2 lb White Wheat (US) Any Boil 40 2 °L
1.1 lb Munich (BE) Any Mash 38 6 °L
Hops

Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
1.1 oz Perle (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 7.8%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Lactobacillus Delbrueckii White Labs WLP677 78.5%
White Labs WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend White Labs 80.0%

1.062OG
1.012FG
4IBU
3SRM
6.5%ABV
Batch & Boil

Batch Size
6.0 gal
Boil Time
90 min

Depends on how sour you want it. Do you want a sharp sour from primary? Toss it in. Throw in a handful of grain. Bottle dregs from sours. Find some brett and go for that too. Are you planning on aging? Well, that requires a separate strategy, because you'll be developing the acidity over a long period of time.

If you're just looking for a sour bite, I'd consider sour mashing. To really accentuate that farmhouse saison funk, though, I'd look at Brett.

The White Labs WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend already has Brett in it.

I definitely don't want to do a sour mash.

I was planning on aging this for about 3-4 months or so. I could go even longer since I'll have 11 gallons of the other saison I'm brewing.

If you want to use the lacto, ditch the hops, and add before the yeast. Add the lacto, and keep warm (90 - 110) for a week before pitching the yeast. Only pitch the yeast when it has soured enough for you.

Pitching the lacto with, or after the yeast will produce little to no souring.

Latest posts

Back