Question about 5.0cuft Holiday Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bebelew

Reaction score
Lowes has a 5.0 cuft chest freezer for 150 right now and I am looking at buying one to turn it into a kegerator. I am new to this whole process and would like to start homebrewing in the future but for right now I would just be using commercial kegs (don't hate me). I have seen many threads where people are able to fit 2 or 3 corny kegs plus a CO2 tank in it but I am wondering if I can fit two Slim Quarter kegs in there plus a CO2 most likely a 5lb one. Thanks for the help and yes I am totally new to this as I have not ever even bought a keg before...:(

If you call around you may be able to locate a local microbrewery who will fill a corny keg with their beer. Walter Payton's Roundhouse located in Aurora, IL does this and I got my first corny keg filled up there while I was waiting for my first batch of homebrew to finish. After building the keezer I was so excited I had to give it a test run.

If you want to use a traditional commercial keg you'll need to design a system with MFT fittings so you can switch out the ball or liquid disconnects for the commercial sankey tap you'll need to hook up a regular keg. Good luck.

If you do a search, there is a thread on here that gives the footprint of different keg combos. I would look it up, draw up a pattern and take it shopping to see if it fits into the freezer. Cornies are about 9 1/4" and 1/6 bbl are 11". Hope this helps - Dwain

I bought the same freezer and put a 10" collar on it so that I could put another corny on the compressor hump. Right now I have a 1/6 barrel and a corny and it would easily fit another of either on the hump.

I don't think two slim quarters would fit unless you built something with a high enough collar. You'll need a collar anyway because the lid won't clear on it's own so go all out!

Here's a keg chart to use (Anheuser's):
Barrel Specs

This is the setup I used:

Keezer.png

DSC00970.JPG

Cheers!

Back