Question- 220 element - one hot leg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swab

Reaction score
Assuming a one SSR setup, if the element switch is left turned on and the PID is set at zero from what I understand there is one 'hot line' going to the element, and potentially a second hot line due to 'leakage' from the SSR.

- In this case, if there is no water in my pot, and I touch the element, I'm I going to get a shock (well, likely the GFI would trip)?

- Will my element heat up due to the SSR leakage?

- How significant is the risk here?

Assuming a one SSR setup, if the element switch is left turned on and the PID is set at zero from what I understand there is one 'hot line' going to the element, and potentially a second hot line due to 'leakage' from the SSR.

- In this case, if there is no water in my pot, and I touch the element, I'm I going to get a shock (well, likely the GFI would trip)?

- Will my element heat up due to the SSR leakage?

- How significant is the risk here?

No. A normally functioning element will not shock you. The metal sheath is insulated from the current carrying part of the element. The exterior of the element is also actually grounded in a proper installation.

If an element malfunctions, then the part that is energized can make contact with the exterior sheath. When this happens it will trip the breaker and/or GFCI.

No, an element will not heat from normal SSR leakage. The leakage current is too low to heat the element.

In a properly wired system, the risk of injury is very low.

Greater concern than current leakage is that SSRs can fail closed (on). That is why a 2 pole normally open contactor provides a significant safety feature. Switch it off and you know that there is no power to the element.

Latest posts

Back