PWM stir plate advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should work great. Those look like LM317's with an external potentiometer. I would go with the second one though. 3.2 amps is plenty. I doubt you'll be using anywhere close to 10 amps unless you're making a stir plate from hell. Keep in mind you will still need a power source though (aka transformer). You can get transformers at any electronics store, local or online. Just size it appropriately for how many amps you'll be pulling. 1 or 2 amps ought to do you fine.

Cheers. Hopefully they are what they say on the tin.

It might well be the stirplate from hell. The one I have just now may be the most ghetto stirplate in existance, no speed control or lid and made totally of old scrap.... and I have just got a 5L flask so I need to upgrade.

My thoughts on it are the magnets people use have a huge impact, the Black Maxx stirplate still just has a 12v supply not sure of the amps, can spin 5 gallons.

So I have 2 very large and powerful magnets which I am going to spacer from the fan so it doesn't get interfered with too much, so should be able to spin whatever I want, I hope.

Cheers. Hopefully they are what they say on the tin.

It might well be the stirplate from hell. The one I have just now may be the most ghetto stirplate in existance, no speed control or lid and made totally of old scrap.... and I have just got a 5L flask so I need to upgrade.

My thoughts on it are the magnets people use have a huge impact, the Black Maxx stirplate still just has a 12v supply not sure of the amps, can spin 5 gallons.

So I have 2 very large and powerful magnets which I am going to spacer from the fan so it doesn't get interfered with too much, so should be able to spin whatever I want, I hope.

How did the stirplate from hell turn out?

Back