DIY Stir Plate trouble- question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I've copied @Magialisk directions for a dual stir-plate using a 556 timer. I'm having trouble and can't figure out what the problem is. (I do realize that @Magialisk did mis-number the right side pins (8-14) on the diagram.

The link is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/simple-pwm-stirplate-controller.219121/#post-4393542

So far, I've only tried 1 side of the timer for a single stir plate - built on a small breadboard. The speed seems whacky. Here's a video of the fan while I'm adjusting the Pot. I have to start with the Pot all the way to one side or the fan won't start turning. Then, I'm turning the pot the other way and it suddenly jumps up in speed to max. Then as I continue to keep adjusting the Pot, the speed slows down to a certain speed (still pretty fast) and then falls off completely and stops, while there's still a lot of travel (about half) left in the Pot.

Link to the video is HERE

Any ideas? Might I have put it together incorrectly? It sort-of works, so I would guess it's correct. Might I have a bad component? Has anyone else tried @Magialisk design and had it work OK?

Or, should I try to copy a different DIY PWM controller for a stir plate?

Last edited:
Back