Putting bourbon in porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGAL2

Reaction score
I was wanting to add a little bourbon to my porter and was wondering when, how much for 5g and which kind is best? I'm not using any oak chips.

I added 16 oz. of Jack when I bottled. The beer currently has a little bite to it, which is what I was going for. I'd say to play it safe add maybe 8-12 oz in the bottling bucket, taste it, then go from there. You can always add more, but you can't take it back out once it's in there.

If you are kegging, you can add a little at a time, then more if it needs it.

Just remember, you can put it in, but you can't take it back out.

I added 16oz of Makers Mark to my oaked porter. It is delicious and honestly isn't overpowering. Keep in mind, I love my bourbon.

Having done it with both Jack, Jim Beam and Maker's Mark I find Jack to be the better tasting bourbon when it comes to adding it to beer. Lie others have mentioned add it at bottling and taste it as you add it. I tend to go a little more than 12 oz personally but I like to really taste the bourbon in the beer.

Having done it with both Jack, Jim Beam and Maker's Mark I find Jack to be the better tasting bourbon when it comes to adding it to beer. Lie others have mentioned add it at bottling and taste it as you add it. I tend to go a little more than 12 oz personally but I like to really taste the bourbon in the beer.

A while back, I read a bunch of stuff about distilling (before I realized it was illegal pretty much anywhere in the world except for New Zealand, I think), here's the differences between the various whiskeys (in case you want more detail about what you're putting in your beer):

1. Bourbon (ex: Jim Beam, Wild Turkey): Made primarily from corn and aged in fresh oak barrels, usually white oak
  2. Tennessee (ex: Jack Daniels): Basically bourbon that is filtered through lots (10 feet) of sugar maple charcoal to give it extra flavor
  3. Scotch (ex: Johnnie Walker): Made primarily from peat-smoked malt barley, and (depending on the area of Scotland), aging in barrels near the sea will cause a salt exchange in the whisky (they don't put an 'e' in the spelling in Scotland)
  4. Irish Whiskey (ex: Jameson): Made primarily from un-peated barley, usually (but not always) triple-distilled

So I'd say that Tennessee style would probably fit best, with the maple and malt flavors mixing. But I personally don't like JD, so I'd probably go with Wild Turkey 101 or Maker's Mark.

Honestly, I'd pass on the Jack, Jim, or Maker's in a porter.

Evan Williams, on the other hand, is cheap, caramelly-sweet (compared to most bourbon), and seems like it would go nicely in a Porter.

Jack, Jim, and Maker's go into ME.

[*]Tennessee (ex: Jack Daniels): Basically bourbon that is filtered through lots (10 feet) of sugar maple charcoal to give it extra flavor

Another difference is that Bourbon is supposed to be from one barrel. Jack, on the other hand, is blended during the charcoal filtering.

I prefer Wild Turkey, myself. Though, I drank many a bottle of Jack Daniels in my younger days.

So why don't you wanna oak and bourbon it? I've got some Jack Daniel's Oak Smoking chips soaking in some more jack, ready to go into my smoked version of my brown ale....

So why don't you wanna oak and bourbon it? I've got some Jack Daniel's Oak Smoking chips soaking in some more jack, ready to go into my smoked version of my brown ale....

I'm going to have to confiscate the recipe for that one. :mug:

I'm going to have to confiscate the recipe for that one. :mug:

Well the standard recipe is in my pull down.....I added a pound of Rauch malt to the grainbill.

Hopefully I can rack the half of the batch I wanted to put on oak this weekend...turned out I had a stuck fermentation, and had to add some US-05 to kick it down...it was stuck at 1.030 after 3 weeks in the fermentor...damn temp kick.

Was that a reply to me, revvy, or to something else?

I'm all for bourbon and oak. I'd just rather drink the good bourbon straight, and use less-expensive-but-still-decent bourbon in the beer.

I added 16 oz. of Jack when I bottled. The beer currently has a little bite to it, which is what I was going for. I'd say to play it safe add maybe 8-12 oz in the bottling bucket, taste it, then go from there. You can always add more, but you can't take it back out once it's in there.

Adding 16Oz of a 100 proof bourbon to a 5-gallon batch will increase the alcohol by about 1.4%. This assumes a 48 bottle yield per batch.

It will also mean that about 2.8% of your 12 ounce beer (about 1/3rd of an ounce) is bourbon.

Just an FYI cuz I have a spare (boring) moment going on right now. :D

Well the standard recipe is in my pull down.....I added a pound of Rauch malt to the grainbill.

Hopefully I can rack the half of the batch I wanted to put on oak this weekend...turned out I had a stuck fermentation, and had to add some US-05 to kick it down...it was stuck at 1.030 after 3 weeks in the fermentor...damn temp kick.

Lemme know how it turns out. Is there an equivalent to Rauch malt? My loathsome LHBS doesn't list it.

Sorry to the OP for thread hijacking but this is too good to miss. :D

Edit: Ignore my question. Rauch has a separate section on it's own for some reason.

Local brew pub has a black ale (essentially a Schwartzbier fermented with English Ale yeast) they sometimes age in Maker's Mark barrels called Blackjack. I have a bomber in the fridge I'm waiting to crack. Yummmmmmmmmmm....

Personally for a porter I'd go with something smooth like a good Canadian whiskey. The bourbon would be pretty "edgy" in such a malty brew.

And yes, I plan to clone that beer, it will be my birthday brew. :rockin:

Actually, Jack Daniels is NOT a blended whisky, and it is, in fact, from a single barrel. The whisky is mellowed through the charcoal prior to being barreled (with the exception of Gentleman Jack). I've visited the distillery on several occations and they pride themselves in the fact that they are not a blended whisky, but a true "Tennessee Whisky." Most blended whiskies are considered scotch.

I split a batch of 5 gallon oaked porter and did 8 oz Markers Mark in 2.5 gal and 8 oz Kraken Spiced Rum in 2.5 gallons aged on oak cubes for 2 weeks then added to secondary for 2 weeks before bottling and it was a bit over powering for the first month in the bottle and then become incredibly smooth for the better part of the last year. I've got a bottle of each left and enought grain to do 5 gal of each for the next brew day.....

I used 4oz of medium toast French oak soaked with 5 jiggers of Beam's Black while my dark ale recipe was fermenting. Secondary with liquor & chips for 8 days. It was a bit too present,imo. It took 9 weeks & 6 days to carb & condition. 2 weeks fridge time for 2-3 finger head & decent carbonation.

Latest posts

Back