Purple beer? Oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
Something interesting happened a few weeks ago. I made a batch of Belgian American ale and split it into 3 vessels from the fermenter. 3 gallons went into a small carboy for intentionally souring, 5 in a keg for serving and another two in another keg. I have made this recipe 3 times before, but this is the first time that I transferred using co2. I pushed co2 into the fermenter and it pushed the beer through the wand and tubing into the kegs... All went well until the last 2 gallons. At that time, the leaf hops from the dry hopping started clogging the wand. I had to pull it out and unclog it at least 10 times and there was also quite a lot of bubbling and burping co2 and splashing beer inside keg.

What was strange is when I went to pour it 20 or so days later, it had turned purple/grey/black. Flavor was off, but at the time I didn't really think cardboard. I am assuming that I oxidized it quite a bit with the splashing and the screwed up transfer.

Any thoughs?

Well, no known pathogens can grow in beer due to the pH and alcohol levels, it won't make you sick. So if it tastes good enough to drink, then personally I wouldn't dump it.

As to what caused the color change, I haven't experienced that before. So I can't really help with the "why" factor. I've had beers splash a decent amount and haven't had that problem.
:mug:

I considered the infection part, especially since I have brought the bugs into the brewery so to say. Didn't taste like any that I have encountered. What infection changes the color if the beer, but doesn't taste like lactobacillus. Actually there was no film on top either.

No copper or brass... Already dumped it. Drinking something that you know is incorrect is difficult to say the least. Isn't the most beer that I had to dump:(

I figured infection or oxidation, but with no other examples of this occurring, I was stumped. I have brewed hundreds of gallons and this isn't like I did anything too out I the usual.

No copper or brass... Already dumped it. Drinking something that you know is incorrect is difficult to say the least. Isn't the most beer that I had to dump:(

I figured infection or oxidation, but with no other examples of this occurring, I was stumped. I have brewed hundreds of gallons and this isn't like I did anything too out I the usual.
Did you ever find out what was causing this to happen? I am now on my fourth batch of this phenomenon occurring and it is almost kicking me out of homebrewing.

Did you ever find out what was causing this to happen? I am now on my fourth batch of this phenomenon occurring and it is almost kicking me out of homebrewing.

Benbradford hasn't been on the forum for 2.5 years, so a response is unlikely. There are other discussions about grey beer, which is mostly attributed to oxygen. 'Black' would presumably only be from contamination. Purple would mostly like be from a rogue smurf falling in the mash tun.

To help narrow down your issue, can you describe your process? More detail = better.

Last edited:

There have been several threads about purplish (purlpe/brown) beers (all IPAs, IIRC) on another forum. In those threads, signs pointed to oxidation. OTOH, lots of pretty well oxidized beers don't turn purplish, so if I had to bet, I'd guess there's more than one factor involved.

Back