Pure Cane Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for pure cane sugar. Is this some special kind of sugar, or is it the same stuff my wife puts in the cookies that comes in a standard white bag like the flour does? If it's special, any clues as to how to find it? Thanks in advance.

You get it at the grocery store. Should e the same stuff the wife uses unless she buys the REALLY cheap stuff, which is beet sugar.

I've got some Sugar in the Raw, do you think that'll suffice without any noticeable change in the final flavor?

Nothing special about bleached refined beet/and or cane sugar.Same sugar. Use it or..
Use the raw its got a hint of molassis that is barely detectable depending how much used. What style and gravity are you brewing?

Look in the baking aisle for turbinado or dememera sugar... I can get it in 2-3# bags where I shop. It's definitely NOT white sugar. Most of what I see on the shelves is a larger crystal size too. The color should be between brown sugar and white sugar.

BTW, it should also say "pure cane sugar" on the bag someplace. It's basically minimally processed cane sugar, that's not been bleached and such. Since I don't use (or even have any) white sugar, I have a decent amount of this on hand (a few bags)... :D Been using it for ages.

C&H pure cane sugar is the sugar that has been bleached and highly processed for decades.Or did i miss something?

Well, I'm in the middle of a brew and a hurricane (okay tropical storm), so going to the store is something I'd rather avoid. I should have been more prepared, but I thought I had everything already. Anyway, I have both regular sugar and sugar in the raw.

I'm following a recipe for Foster's Lager.

6.5# 2-row pilsner
.5# 20L crystal
1.25# cane sugar - ?

Expected OG: 1.047-1.048
Expected FG: 1.008-1.009

Start with the raw and top off with whatever else you have on hand... I would get some dememera/turbinado sugar to have on hand for the next time though. It's not a bad idea to keep a bag of it around. Just be sure to have a bag in reserve once you open one up.

I would get some dememera/turbinado sugar to have on hand for the next time though.

Turbinado sugar is the same according to the Sugar in the Raw package...

If you have the 1-1/4# of that, then you're set...

BTW, I go for the stuff that is barely processed (not bleached, etc.) as opposed to the ultra-processed/bleached stuff. Seems to taste better, and actually have flavor.

Alright, cool. I think I'll go with the Sugar in the Raw. Maybe it'll affect the flavor a little, but who cares? It'll still be scrumptious! RDWHHB! Thanks guys!

Back