Purchased a used chest freezer, Need help to disable electronic control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Ok, so my old 10cuft chest freezer finally conked out, so I searched craigslist and i found the 20 cu ft commercial Kenmore at a really good price, only 4 years old. I use them for storing my full corney kegs prior to putting them in my draft refer.

anyhoo, this model has electronic controls, and I cant set them above 10DG. My old one was a dial control, and I had a Ranco digital on it so I could keep it at 38DG to chill and age my kegs

So for the gurus out there, has anyone converted a chest freezer with an electronic control ? Can it somehow be disabled to use the Ranco ?

Any help or advice is appreciated

get us the model number and the schematic if possible. I am sure we will be able to completely bypass the current controls. A compressor basically has three wires, the common, the run, and the start wire.

Not sure what difference it makes whether digital or analog, just set either to their coldest setting and let the Ranco run the show...

Cheers!

Not sure what difference it makes whether digital or analog, just set either to their coldest setting and let the Ranco run the show...

Cheers!

I thought about that, but it has a warning beeper that goes beep continuously when the temp rises above the setpoint, in this case the max is 10 DG, so everytime the Ranco would come on and restart the control, the beeper will beep because its way above the 10 dg setpoint at 38dg. then you can push a button to turn it off, but that would be a PITA . I could just try to disable the beeper, clip a wire to it or something. IDK

Ok, looking at the wiring diagram you may be able to remove what looks like a four pin connector (shown at the top left corner of the controller). If so, that would kill the entire controller, and then you could jumper the black (A) wire to the yellow (G) wire, plug the line cord into your Ranco and be good to go.

The only thing you would lose in the offing is the interior light...

Cheers!

Back