Punching Holes For Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finally getting started on my control panel build, following the build seen here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=341219&page=2

More specifically, using this box:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=143

I was wondering how everyone is punching holes in their boxes? I know that a hydraulic punch is the easiest way to go, but I'd rather not invest the money into something I'm going to use once.

What have other people had success with? Metal hole saw? Step bit? Or is my only option a punch set? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I bought all of my switches/leds to be 22mm, so used a single stepbit for those. PID and outlets were a pain. Rotary tool if you have the right stuff for the job is easiest. On one of my builds I used a plasma cutter for the PID holes.

Cnc plasma cutter, this only works if you have access to one affordable however. I drew the file in adobe illustrator and converted it to a .dxf for the machine, I got it burnt free but if you had to pay its only about 1/2 hr of the operators time, probably around 25-30 bucks if they are reasonable. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451063772.042116.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451063801.072822.jpg

Second pic is of a test panel I had laying around. If you use steel paint typically has to be removed first, first one is stainless.

I used a knockout punch on my holes, and a Dremel on everything else. Used a ton of cutting disks, but thankfully they arent terribly expensive. My panel was also stainless, and was more of a challenge to cut than some other materials I have worked with.

Step bit for circles, and Jigsaw with a metal cutting blade for the square holes for my electrical outlets(Im using Strangebrew Elsinore so no PID's)

While not the same quality as Greenlee, harbor freight has a cheap knockout punch set; 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.25".... If you only have to do a couple holes, that may be an option.

Honestly its really hard to screw up using a step bit if you use one with sufficient steps. Most LED's and switches have a pretty big bezel. As long as you do one step at a time as you get close to your goal and test fit if it goes in i had no problems installing 6 LED's and 2 switches in like 20 minutes.

Back